Water Filters

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Water Filters

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have very rarely used a water filter for my fresh water supply. I have read enough about them to know that the commonly available ones filter for taste only. Any parasites, germs or harmful chemicals still get through. As far as I know to filter for safety is more expensive and more complicated. Are there easy, cheap, and reliable alternatives? I guess I could add a little bleach to my water tank.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

Dallas

I put a little beach in my RV tank and Boat tanks - But I dont drink that water either. I use it for shower, coffee, cooking, ect.

I know there are folks that do it different and thats fine - guess its kinda personal preference to a point.

I did try a filter on the boat once but it really slowed up filling 100 plus gallons.

On the other hand you could but your trust in creativity -
:D
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

The main reason I use a filter when filling the water tank is to prevent sediment from getting into the tank. Some campgrounds have an awful lot of sediment in their supply. As for health, in the U.S. I presume campground water systems have to meet the same standards as residential systems, so should be safe to drink.

We also sanitize our fresh water system after de-winterizing and if we have not used the RV in a number of months.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Joe - Now that you mention it I believe the one filter that I tried was allot more than a sediment filter - it really slowed the fill rate substantially.

I will have to look at them again because I do believe the sediment should be blocked at minimum

I also kinda super bleach or shock the system after dewinterizing - not sure if that is necessary but seems to work well and also gets residue pink stuff out of the system.

And before someone tells me that the pink stuff wont hurt you, I know that --- I just dont like to drink pink stuff.
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

We use the Hydro-Life HL-180 In-Line water filter, a bacteria fighter. The filter is placed just before the connection on the coach. When filling the fresh water tank, I also use the filter. We utilize a Coil'n Wrap fresh water fill adapter and connect the filter to it. The adapter has a ball valve allowing you to shut off the water when the tank is full. The 1 foot white hose is from Coil'n Wrap as well.

The brass 45 and 90 degree fittings make the hose alignment easier. Though it appears there are a number of hose connections, we never had a leak.

I made a hanger for the filter out of #9 galvanized fence wire and covered the curved portion with vinyl hose from the hardware store. The bracket hangs off the lip at the utility door.

To limit the excess water getting into the coach storage area, I put plastic hose caps on the hoses and filters. Caps available at the hardware store.

Pictures are attached for reference.

We travelled for 8 months in 2013, FL to Alaska. Upon our return, I changed the water tank anode. The anode had very little build up or deterioration. I think the filter made a big difference. The water never had an odor and always tasted fresh.
Attachments
IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG (105.89 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG (69.23 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
IMG_5909.JPG
IMG_5909.JPG (69.96 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
whemme

Post by whemme »

That's something new. I never knew that the fresh water tank had an anode. Since our fresh water tank is plastic, I am not sure what good an anode would do anyway.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The anode I replaced was in the water heater. The fresh water tank does not have an anode. I am of the opinion that the water filter reduced sediment and other matter build up in the water heater tank and on the water heater anode.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Ray

Post by Ray »

Nice clean set up, well thought out - I like it.

Still concerned about flow rate - do you happen to know how long it takes to fill your tank? The filter I tried on the boat would have probably taken a couple hours to fill the RV tank (just guessing)

I take it that is a disposable unit and does not have a replaceable filter?

I am going to look it up - thanx for the post
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The fill time for the fresh water tank is 5-8 minutes, a little more time if the water heater tank needs to be filled up.

The filter is disposable, but lasts about a year if used regularly. Hydro-Life has various models. The larger models have replaceable filters, but we opted for the smaller version. The filter is rated to treat 8,000 gallons.

We purchased the filter at Camping World, but available at numerous places. Read the customer reviews.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”