Roof vents and covers showing their age

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tahoe

Roof vents and covers showing their age

Post by Tahoe »

Recently got on the roof of our 2002 24RB and noticed the 2 vents for the plumbing were showing fine cracks. Then noticed cracks in the AC cover and piece missing on the old Delta antenna which we no longer use. The refrigerator cover wasn't cracked yet, but looked really nasty. I guess after 20 plus years it makes sense. To my surprise the local Ace Hardware had the plumbing vents on the shelf so I bought those and replaced them within 1 hour. I ordered the AC cover and refrigerator vent from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. This morning I was able to quickly replace both. 4 screws each and easy as can be. A surprise under the AC cover was a squirrel nest (old), and several hornets nests (old). As far as the delta antenna goes, well we don't use it because it never worked since we've owned it, so I took it off, filled the hole in the roof with a wood plug (glued and caulked), and placed a 6 inch round Aluminum plate which was drilled to match the old pattern and screwed into the old holes and caulked. Inside I reintalled the old plastic cover with a piece of headliner on the backside to cover the hole. I thought of installing a newer, better antenna, but we have one that works just fine that we just have laying on the overhead bed.

Only 2 other roof pieces I worry about. One is the fantastic vent which is looking rather old and probably brittle, and the vent that exists from the shower. I'm not sure what to do with them at this point.

Coach also got a new serpentine belt and tentioner yesterday. Took a little over and hour to do that and easier than I thought. One more large expense I need soon is new tires. Not sure which tire to replace them with yet so need to research that.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Alpenliter

Re: Roof vents and covers showing their age

Post by Alpenliter »

If you want to have your vents, etc, last longer Tahoe, spray paint them with some Krylon paint. It will really help with those plastic rotting UV rays.
Jim Schrankel
2002 24RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”