Radio upgrade and electrical build out questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

opselite

Radio upgrade and electrical build out questions

Post by opselite »

I have a 2006 24rb we just bought and the first order of business is to get this thing a new stereo. Also going to throw in a subwoofer to make this RV thump and add several cameras for a periscope mode.

I have already fitted the radio and it works off the chassis battery with stock wiring harness but my goal is to have the stereo on without the engine running. This would mean to run off the house electrical system.

The most direct way of doing this is to run a wire to the electrical panel with a 3 way switch in between. This was my first plan but I don't know how to hide the wires or the best place to run where pre existing wires are located.

My second option which is more of a wish at this point.
But I want to power the chassis battery with the house battery/electrical system so I can run the stereo off the stock wiring harness and negate the need to run a wire to the back. Can this be done, the isolator prevents this right now and I suppose I would need some sort of dc-dc charger so the battery doesn't get over charged.

Has this been done before? What would be required? Anybody else upgrade their stereo and run off the house so movie watching uses chassis speakers?

Btw. I have the Kenwood dmh1037s radio installed and it is amazing.
perleys

Re: Radio upgrade and electrical build out questions

Post by perleys »

I can't answer the details about the wiring but on my 2004 BF Ford I believe the cigarette lighter plug stays powered even when the engine is off. Can you run the radio to that supply?
opselite

Post by opselite »

I ended up just running a 14 AWG wire back to the electrical box. It runs on the driver side, goes under the table and hugs the wall. It is exposed for now until I find a way to get it under the carpet. I then drilled a hole into the kitchen cabinet next to fresh water tank.

Since I am running the radio off house power, I also needed a manual switch to turn it off. While I was at it I also ran a USB charger port next to the cup holders and the USB connector for the radio is next to the switch. I plan on adding a volt meter in the empty hole as I made a calculation error.

I still have a few things to do but am awaiting on parts.

IMG_0022.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0026.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg (251.57 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
opselite

Post by opselite »

IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0025.jpeg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
IMG_0024.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg (233.97 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
stevek

Post by stevek »

A number of years ago I added to my stock radio, a DC power switch; to switch from engine batt to house batts and still works. I also added a Trik-L-Start which ties the house batteries to the engine battery Maybe this was redundant?

I do not think they make the Trik-L-Start anymore. Anybody know why? Seemed like a good idea to me. BF even added them, at the factory for a while. Mine seems to still work.

Anybody know of the replacement for the Trik-L-Start? Just curious. Thanks
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”