Electric Countertop Burner - Recommendation?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ScotManG

Electric Countertop Burner - Recommendation?

Post by ScotManG »

Hi folks,

Just looking for some experience-based recommendations as we are looking to supplement our gas stove with a countertop electrical burner. Especially on hot days and to reduce dependency on just gas. Again, just looking for experiences/recommendations, good, bad or ugly. Still a newbie. Retired - we just got our 2013 Born Free 27RSB last September and are planning all our trips for this year.

Thanks in advance!
Scott
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
South central Pennsylvania
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
tomzleapin

Re: Electric Countertop Burner - Recommendation?

Post by tomzleapin »

I don't have any experience with a countertop electric burner but an induction burner would be the way to go if you have appropriate cookware. The cookware needs to ferromagnetic meaning that a magnet sticks to it. The burner does not heat up, just the cookware heats up. The typical burner draws 1800 watts of power so you either need to be plugged into power or running on generator. Drawing that much power tends to heat up the outlet that you plug the burner into so make sure that it does not get too hot.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thank you for the response, advice and recommendation!!
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
John S.

Post by John S. »

We used a portable induction burner and loved it in our old coach. This coach has built in induction burners
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thank you for the response!
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Does a induction burner use less electricity, than a conventual electric element burner?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thanks for the reply and follow up question... as mentioned, I'm no expert in any of this (our first RV too)... in limited research (aka... GoogleIt :) ), I ran across this Popular Mechanics article which states: "Electric burners use induction or infrared electricity to heat up their surfaces. Hot plates and electric burners that use coils use electricity to heat them up, transferring heat to the surface of the coil through infrared energy. Coils—and glass or ceramic cooking surfaces with coils underneath them—usually rely on infrared energy. They consume more energy than the alternative (induction), and glow red-hot when ready. They take more time to heat up to your desired temperature, though coils and infrared heat can transfer heat directly to any cookware you may have in your kitchen, from cast-iron pans to ceramic-bottomed Dutch ovens.

On the other hand, induction stovetops are more energy-efficient and heat up quicker than infrared. They also distribute that heat more efficiently, passing heat from underneath their tops to the ceramic surface. However, induction cooking surfaces require specific cookware to use. Induction hot plates transfer heat electromagnetically, which means any stainless steel and magnetic bottom cookware.
".

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/f ... c-burners/

Hope this helps!
Scott
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks...good info. I will have to look at a purchase and try this induction cooking, first hand.
I know a few years back, I saw a new class B that had no chassis mounted propane tank. Relying heavily on solar and can remember it had an induction cooking system rather than a propane kitchen stove, like my BF. I assume not so much for boondocking/ but RV park camping.

As a side note, some communities here in OR are banning natural gas in new construction. Wonder if the same thing could happen to propane gas?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”