Fuel Pump, etc.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

karls

Fuel Pump, etc.

Post by karls »

I had always worried about a fuel pump failure on the road and the inconvenience of a couple days delay getting it repaired. So I experimented by installing another pump external to the tank to see if it would pull fuel through a dead in-tank pump. The answer is yes, so I have a kit in the coach that has a spare pump and hose clamps, etc. If I don't want to grovel under the coach by the road I'm sure some local repair service guy will do it for a nice tip. Only takes 15 minutes. Better than days!

I recently had the local Aamco service replace the entire drive train - fan to rear wheels. For $15K I have a used rear end, rebuilt tranny and long block engine that runs like a top. Couldn't be happier. Actually, at 268,000 miles the engine was running fine and using a quart every 3,000 miles, but I worried about another spark plug blow out someday

They had to replace the new tranny (no cost) because the speedometer gear was wrong and gave 20% high readings on the speed and odometer.

The V-10 motor is built stout and I've seen them in much larger RV's.

So my 1998 24' RB is good as new and ready for a March trip to near Clermont, FL from whence it came some 18 years ago.
Hazel's-Keeper

Re: Fuel Pump, etc.

Post by Hazel's-Keeper »

Did you actually run it on the external pump or just get it to push fuel? If you've gotten it to run can you list the pump model and where you fed power from. This would by a nice work around if the pump failed.
karls

Re: Fuel Pump, etc.

Post by karls »

I drove it with the exernal fuel pump and flogged it climbing a long hill without any fuel starvation. Intank pump was disabled via cb. And you can leave the pump installed wihout using as the in-tank pump will force fuel past it. However, I took it back out to save corrosion, etc.

For power I ran a line (plus and minus) to the battery, with leg on the drivers side pocket via the right door and put an on/off switch and fuse on it and then back to the the minus and snaked it down to the pump behind the large metal fuel filter. That's easily accessible on the frame on the left side.

I'll get the info and post it here.

KS

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”