Onan generator cutting out in hot weather

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mgilles0

Onan generator cutting out in hot weather

Post by mgilles0 »

This week while dry camping in a heat wave in Oregon (mid-upper 90's), my generator would stop running after about 10 minutes when under load with the air conditioner running. It runs fine now that it is cooler. The oil level is fine, and it is not at the number of hours required for service. I don't see this issue in these forums. Any suggestions?
whemme

Re: Onan generator cutting out in hot weather

Post by whemme »

My best guess is that you have a weak fuel pump issue with your Onan generator.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I see from a previous post that you have a 2015 Born Free Freedom. I'm not familiar with your generator but some Onans will issue a fault code when problems arise. I think you have to look on the generator to check this. If the generator is overheating, opening the compartment door may help.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
John S.

Post by John S. »

Did you ever get an answer to this. Since it runs when it is cooler the cooling system should be working so I was wondering the answer on it.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
mgilles0

Post by mgilles0 »

I think that it was shutting off due to the heat. I have successfully run it under load for several hours once it was cooler. It was surging a bit and carburetor cleaner seems to have solved that problem. I think I am going to change the generator oil since I am not sure when that was last done. It only has 80 hours and the oil level is full, but it may not be the right viscosity for this hot summer weather. I have read that could potentially cause cooling issues.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Both the Onan and Generac generators use air cooled engines. But the lubricating oil also helps cool the engine but I doubt if the viscosity of the oil used makes any difference in the amount of cooling the oil provides.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

I posted my experience in another forum, my issue sounded exactly like yours. I ended up adding an oil cooler with a fan and re-locating the generator muffler. My temps went way down and I can now run my generator in 100+ degree weather.
2006 Born Free RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”