Handling and Ride Questions for the E350 22' Owners

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hazel's-Keeper

Handling and Ride Questions for the E350 22' Owners

Post by Hazel's-Keeper »

Hello all,
I have some specific questions for those that have or have had the E350 22' rear door model. I only have about 60 miles behind the wheel and that was on a very calm day driving home. I'm getting ready to do some front suspension and steering work that is needed. Ball joints, tie rods and bushings etc.

I know only time behind the wheel will sort it out, but hearing about others experiences regarding ride, handling and tire wear might help to not chase problems that don't exist. Like a sway bar that is not needed.

>How does the 22' handle in stock form?

>And if you have made any upgrades as far as a larger sway bar, adding a rear sway bar, adding more
caster etc. what effect did it have?

>If needed has anyone tried a stock sway bar from an E450 front or front and rear?

>Also rubber vs urethane bushings and of course shocks.

Hopefully someone will have some insight on the 22'ers.

Enjoying the rain today.
Photobug

Re: Handling and Ride Questions for the E350 22' Owners

Post by Photobug »

Mine handles fine I drove it 1500 miles bringing it home. It has only about 40k miles. I would not change or upgrade anything unless I was trying to improve offroad performance. I would like to get some increase in clearance and a differential locker.
Hazel's-Keeper

Post by Hazel's-Keeper »

Photobug wrote:Mine handles fine I drove it 1500 miles bringing it home. It has only about 40k miles. I would not change or upgrade anything unless I was trying to improve offroad performance. I would like to get some increase in clearance and a differential locker.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I do have a line on some factory bars off of a E450 that are larger in diameter that are direct replacement but would have to fab brackets for the rear. I'm guessing the 450 front alone would be too much. Maybe someone else will have that answer.
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

Just completed a 2300 mile trip in our 22' BFT (E350.) Gusty wind, rain, and even some snow. The BFT rode fine, as it has for the last 50K miles/ 10 years. No mods -- all stock. Like Photobug suggested, I would not change anything for now. Enjoy your Born Free!
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
stevek

Post by stevek »

I have a 22 foot E350 RSK. Drives crapy with side winds. I just slow down and live with it. Has about 25k miles on it. I am second owner; had 4K miles. Bill W. talks about front wheel alignment. I have not done this.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

I would try a front end alignment. We had some nasty wind gusts this last trip, but our 2006 BFT (22' E350) rode fine (speed 65-70.) We have 65K miles, with new Michelin tires at about 60K which might make a difference. Front end was aligned some time back - don't remember when.

Front tires at 65psi, rear tires at 75psi, and the air bags at 55 psi. Past experience shows the pressures affect the ride. We do not load very heavy, and usually start out with a half full water tank and empty holding tanks. Ours rides very well. Hope this helps.
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks... I have new tires. Air pressure same as yours.
Bill Whemme had specific specs for alignment. Should be a link.
I went to my local Ford dealer a number of years back, and they said No, my motor home too big for their alignment equipment. Kinda got discouraged after that and never had it done. Drove that way when I first got it, only 4K miles.
I just live with it. :lol:
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”