RV Newbie got really lucky. Plenty of questions.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Re: RV Newbie got really lucky. Plenty of questions.

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Yes install the styrofoam,or better yet, install foam and between the foam and the window place a cut to fit reflector like you buy for an automobile windshield. That window lets in a lot of heat in the summer.

If you have a good mechanic ask if he will work on the Ford mechanical side of you BF. Take it to him, or emphasize it is on an Econoline chassis like thousands of vans Ford sold over the years.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Felders

Post by Felders »

Yep. That’s the awning handle. I asked the guy if I could bring those in and he could install, but he said he didn’t accept anyone bringing in parts and quoted me at $100. So looks like I’m doing it myself and getting a rivet gun in the process.

Thanks so much for the heads up on the mattress. We are going to deep clean the one we have and sleep on sleeping bags for now until we find a new guy for the replacement.

You guys have been so helpful. Let me know if I’m getting annoying with asking too many stupid questions, but I figure there’s other guys like me with some of the same questions.

Next one. Installing seatbelts for the foldout couch. Seen the posts about them, but recommended or not? Also, anybody have any experience with where to put the baby car seats and how. Looks like the captains chairs only lock sideways...
John S.

Post by John S. »

We got the foam purple and you can cut it to fit with a bread knife. We did not need to cut ours.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Felders

Post by Felders »

Just got it back from the shop and planning to take it on the road this weekend! After further inspection looks like I’ve got a 26RB and not a 24RB like I was advertised. I’ll take it. Right now I’ve got all the power off and not plugged in and I’ve got a ticking every 10 seconds are go from behind the fridge. It looks like it’s coming from the black power box to the left side of the fridge outside compartment. I’m guessing pilot light is trying to light which I don’t want to be happening while I’m fumigating for the smoke smell. Any ideas??
bfadmin
Site Admin

Post by bfadmin »

Look at your coach's ident plate located just above the rear bumper behind the ladder. The model number printed there will tell y8ou if it is a 24RB or 26RB. If you are not connected to shoreline power then you fridge may be trying to ignite its propane burner to operate the fridge. Generally that clicking noise is the successive attempts to light the burner. If it doesn't light, it should quit trying after 3 or four attempts. Your fridge should have a control panel were you can select AC power or LP power to operate the fridge. If your burner won't ignite if may be because the burner orfice is plugged or maybe your LP tank is empty. Until you get this resolved, chose AC power on the control panel to stop the fridge from trying to ignite the burner.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Seat belts were standard equipment for the jackknife couch. They were connected to a cross rod under the couch. They can be pushed under the couch and may be hanging from this rod. Since no one rode on my couch I pushed them under the seat, but eventually took them out. I think I can find them and will mail them to you if you would like. Just reimburse for postage when received. Email or send a private message with an address.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Felders

Post by Felders »

Day 1 of deep cleaning completed. Used bleach, odoban, pledge, baking soda and did some damage to the smoke smell, but I’ll see if it lasts. Got all the curtains out and curtain finger stabbers removed, old mattress out and cover off to wash. Found all kinds of good stuff too. Drove it 2 hours yesterday and it felt way better than initially, even up to 75 mph. Had front wheel bearings repacked and brakes replaced. Not sure if those made a huge difference or less wind/me being more comfortable with it.

My plate says “26RS” which confirms I’ve got a 26 and the fact I have a rear bathroom proves it’s not an RSB. Better to be sold a 24 and get a 26 than the other way around! Originally just thought I had a custom 24 with the door in front of the rear wheel after seeing all of y’alls pictures and someone saying Born Free made a lot of custom ones, but makes a lot more sense that it’s just a standard 26RB.

Fridge stopped ticking when I got it into AC mode. Haven’t tried to work the propane yet, but I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.

The big tarp I found was a sunshade to hang from my awning. Figured that out through trial and error. Slips right into a well in the awning roller like the pull handle. Will be real nice if we take it to the beach.

Found all instruction manuals and maintenance records hidden behind a back shelf. So glad to have those to reference.

Tomorrow I’m drilling out old rivets on awning handles and putting on the new ones. Going deep on cleaning the fridge and oven. Racks are rusted on edges so might end up updating those. Shower vent makes an unbearable shrieking noise when I turn it on no matter how I reposition the vent cover, so that may need repair/replace. Also noticed the lights get so damn hot. Burned myself on the shower light. Might start looking for alternative LED replacements for some which I know you guys have talked about before.

Thanks for the seatbelts offer. I’ll PM you. I’ll go under the jackknife tomorrow and see if I can see evidence of the old ones. Definitely didn’t see them hanging.

You guys have been a huge help. I’m so new to even the basics but it’s been a blast figuring it all out.

Eric Felder
2001 26RB
Felders

Post by Felders »

Day 2: Replaced awning handles. Learned to appreciate rivets. Easy fix. Stripped the cabover bed and sprayed the cushions in odoban, then baking soda, then soaked them with high pressure from hose. They are yellow foam cushions with pink marks around the cut lines so not sure if original or already replaced, but so far smelling good. I’m hoping the work pays off and the bed works out so I don’t have to pay to replace it. No seat belts underneath the jackknife.

Also deep cleaned the fridge and freezer. It’s a norcold and the metal wire shelves are rusting a little so I’ll probably need to replace, but salvaged and cleaned the plastic shelves. Bottom glass shelf looks like a home fix of a rough cut pane of glass. Not sure if original or not, but has a real rough back edge I’m afraid will cut a kiddo.

Really impressed with how comfortable the jackknife is to sleep on. As good as my home mattress.
Plenty of little odds and ends that need fixing. Porch light and water hookup light covers and bulbs (can’t find any other bulbs on board that match those 2), rear door red escape latch. I’ve got 2 fire detector mounts in the ceiling right next to each other. Guessing one meant for carbon monoxide? Got to get them. Got some uplock hinges with broken rivets and/or acting a little wonky. Plan to search All these out myself, but if there are any hard-to-find items that y’all have found the one source for, please let me know.

Next dumb questions for anyone who has the time and patience to help me out...Which windows can I drive Highway speeds with open? Was there ever a built-in method to hold open the rear window for air flow? I only have a mud flap on the right side. Normal to protect muffler and propane tank, Or missing the one on the left side?
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

You need a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke detector. I think you can purchase them in one unit. You should have a factory installed propane detector. Mine is installed in the doorway at floor level. Propane is heavier than air so a leak will sink to the floor. If you need to replace it it is an easy install. I have replaced mine twice. The unit, like carbon monoxide and smoke detectors,has a limited life. The replace by date should be on it if you remove the unit
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Felders

Post by Felders »

Hey folks. I checked out the previous posts on winterizing and everyone seems to have their own opinion. We’ve got our 2001 26RB out in the cold this weekend in west Texas and looking at temps we aren’t used to down to 4F with highs still below 28F. Normally in the winter we don’t expect temps below 20 and those days it usually heats up to above 35 during the day. We still are in and out of the RV all winter and use it. So what should I do to winterize for cold snaps like this while still using it?

We keep an electric space heater running inside and it’s holding temperature really well, but I’m mainly worried about outside pipes and tanks, hot water heater, and the things I’m not thinking of. I’d appreciate any advice you guys can offer.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

When I ran into a similar problem, I called Kim at the factory. Unfortunately, he was not very sure the fresh water system would hold up at that temperature. We changed plans and did NOT travel to the place intended.

Now, if you want to try some things, here is what we do when temperatures dip into the teens, and it has worked so far.

- In our unit, the hot water heater and the piping to it are in a compartment below our closet in the bathroom. We hang a drop light with a 100 watt incandescent bulb there. That should keep those pipes from freezing.
- We open all cabinet doors where piping is run. That along with your heater should keep those pipes fine.

The real problem usually comes where the shower piping runs, and where whatever water lines disappear behind the shower. Yes, those areas do have some insulation around them. Enough? Maybe. In our first Born Free (we are on number 2), there was a door where you could access the shower lines. If you have such a thing, get an incandescent light in there, too. If not, I am not sure what to do. Maybe a second heater in the shower? That might bleed through enough heat for those pipes.

Another thing to do is put some pink antifreeze down the shower trap and into your holding tanks. This is to keep the traps and tank outflows from freezing.

If all else fails, do you have a friendly, local truck repair place that will let you stash the RV in the garage for a night or 2?

And there always is the solution of winterizing. When we start out on winter trips to go down south, we are often winterized to start. We carry jugs of water for drinking and cooking. We are usually in warm enough weather in a day or so, then we de-winterize. Yeah, I know. A real pain in the butt.

On one cheerful note, though, Kim also told me of a situation where a couple got called away on an emergency and left their unit at home full of water. Everything froze solid by the time they returned. Yes, that includes a 30 gallon ice cube of a fresh water tank. They brought it to the factory, where they brought it inside and let it thoroughly defrost over several days. Nothing broke. Nothing leaked. Kim said it is amazing how forgiving PEX pipe is. Kids, don’t try this at home, as you may have different results.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Felders

Post by Felders »

Well, long time, no response. We did in fact survive the freeze without winterizing with some well placed attic insulation and a space heater inside. Only damage was we discovered a tire valve leak that was probably already an issue. Thanks for the help!

Using y’all’s advice from the forums, I’ve been able to get just about every little detail and question answered except 1! I went to replace the shower vent fan only and the whole thing just crumbled in my hands. Has anyone tried the replacement motors and fans they have on Amazon for this? It’s a different style of fan but much cheaper than replacing the entire assembly, but want to see if one in particular fits better than others.

My Born Free adventure has been fun, but we will most likely be selling this Spring. Had some family surprises and RVing isn’t going to be a possibility for us for the near term. Haven’t seen many updates to the price database in awhile, but also wondering how you guys set sale prices on these guys. RVtrader is all over the place and seems like those never sell. I’ll list here first and hope I can find someone who appreciates the brand, but no clue how else to even start. Any advice is great!

Eric Felder
2001 26RB Diesel
Felders

Post by Felders »

This is the replacement fan setup I was considering…

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Whit ... 0895921186
Herbalface

Post by Herbalface »

Hi, My name is Andrew and I recently was given a 1993 26 ft born free president rear bath, twin bed, 7.5 liter v8 gas... I'm new to the rv world and need some help... My main problem is the coach batteries are not working... just bought 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries ... the old batteries that was in it were high cycle batteries... everything inside except for the fridge, the vent in the shower and the vent above the cabover bed work when plugged in to shore power but without being plugged in, just the lights work... the light at the model BD0 battery disconnect module is always red and when i try to switch it to use I hear a click that sounds like it's coming from the isolator... whatever pictures are needed plz reply and let me know...
Attachments
Isolator
Isolator
Screenshot_20230318_001350_Photos.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Isolator
Isolator
Screenshot_20230318_000554_Photos.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Dual terminals positive is on left side negative is on right ride
Dual terminals positive is on left side negative is on right ride
20230317_202208.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
1993 26ft rbtb Born Free President E-350 7.5L V8 Rear bath twin bed 148k mil

2015 Impala LT
Herbalface

Post by Herbalface »

Herbalface wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:49 pm Hi, My name is Andrew and I recently was given a 1993 26 ft born free president rear bath, twin bed, 7.5 liter v8 gas... I'm new to the rv world and need some help... My main problem is the coach batteries are not working... just bought 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries connected in parallel ... the old batteries that was in it were high cycle batteries... everything inside except for the fridge, the vent in the shower and the vent above the cabover bed work when plugged in to shore power but without being plugged in, just the lights work... the light at the model BD0 battery disconnect module is always red and when i try to switch it to use I hear a click that sounds like it's coming from the isolator... whatever pictures are needed plz reply and let me know...
1993 26ft rbtb Born Free President E-350 7.5L V8 Rear bath twin bed 148k mil

2015 Impala LT

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”