Whats the steepest "grade" sign you have ever seen?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Whats the steepest "grade" sign you have ever seen?

Post by stevek »

Took this pic this morning.
Good news was... it was only about 1 1/2 blocks long.
How would you like to live on that street and park your Born Free on the street or in the driveway?
Yes, there was houses on both side of street.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.02.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.02.02 AM.png (679.22 KiB) Viewed 2931239 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
John S.

Re: Whats the steepest "grade" sign you have ever seen?

Post by John S. »

The steepest I have taken the BF on is 10 percent going out of Jackson Hole to the west and then back again. It was fine but I have many thousands of miles of mountain driving behind me. It did make me wish for a dodge chassis that I had ordered though. they come with an exhaust brake.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Why do they only have an exhaust brake on a diesel and not gas? Or do they?
Or they call it a Jake Brake?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Ford exhaust brake button
Attachments
2015 engine brake.jpg
2015 engine brake.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 2931195 times
2012 25' rb
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I don't know what year they were added, my 2013 gasser has the tow/haul mode. I use it for braking all the time, downshifts the transmission to slow the beast. Not fond of the upshift though. The button on the shift stem needs to be larger for the slap engagement/disengagement.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
jleebailey

Post by jleebailey »

I agree. My 2011 27' RSB has tow/haul that works pretty good. Somehow that transmission computer knows when I am pointed downhill and shifts down. Would be nice to have a more accessible button than the one on the end of the shift lever. I'm wondering if the computer has an inclinometer that senses up and downhill. When on the level it doesn't downshift as readily. Also is a little scary when the engine starts to climb over 4500 rpm. For me that is time for the brakes. By the way, when traveling through a burned over area near Clear Lake, CA a couple of years ago, I spotted a sign like the one above, except the top mounting bolt had failed and the sign had swiveled down until the truck icon was pointing straight at the ground. That is steep!
2011 27rsb
John S.

Post by John S. »

I have that button on my dodge but not my 2015 f550
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

jleebailey wrote:By the way, when traveling through a burned over area near Clear Lake, CA a couple of years ago, I spotted a sign like the one above, except the top mounting bolt had failed and the sign had swiveled down until the truck icon was pointing straight at the ground. That is steep!
Hopland Grade? I lived in the Clearlake Riviera in Kelseyville for about 8 years... I don't recall anything else being THAT steep on the major roads.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
jleebailey

Post by jleebailey »

I don't know the name of the grade. It is on hwy 175 headed south into Middletown. That was the Valley Fire I believe. I was with a friend from Clearlake Oaks who is a retired firefighter.
2011 27rsb
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

jleebailey wrote:I don't know the name of the grade. It is on hwy 175 headed south into Middletown. That was the Valley Fire I believe. I was with a friend from Clearlake Oaks who is a retired firefighter.
Ok, yes... I just don't remember that grade being marked with signage when I lived there... but that WAS twenty years ago!
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The steepest grade we have traveled was 16% in the Escalante Staircase Monument in Utah. Luckily we were going down the mountain into the Town of Escalante.

We have also driven the 10% grade going from Jackson Wyoming to Vinton, Idaho. It was a 10 mile climb. The Ford 6.0 Power Stroke handled it with ease.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
dmews001

Post by dmews001 »

Sonora Pass, California, Eastern Sierra, at 26%. We were towing our Toyota FJ Cruiser up the pass, but decided mid-way up it might be safer to disconnect the FJ and drive our Born Free 26RSB up solo with the FJ following on its own power.

We just had a Banks system installed prior to this (Oct 2016) trip and it was doing OK. Still, I was a bit concerned being in 1st gear most of the time. It was fun though....

Detlef & Ursula Mews
2007 BF 26RSB full body paint (which we like a lot)
Attachments
Sonora Pass California-crop.jpg
Sonora Pass California-crop.jpg (211.29 KiB) Viewed 2930872 times
Detlef & Ursula
2007 BF26RSB - painted
Herbalface

Post by Herbalface »

jleebailey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm I agree. My 2011 27' RSB has tow/haul that works pretty good. Somehow that transmission computer knows when I am pointed downhill and shifts down. Would be nice to have a more accessible button than the one on the end of the shift lever. I'm wondering if the computer has an inclinometer that senses up and downhill. When on the level it doesn't downshift as readily. Also is a little scary when the engine starts to climb over 4500 rpm. For me that is time for the brakes. By the way, when traveling through a burned over area near Clear Lake, CA a couple of years ago, I spotted a sign like the one above, except the top mounting bolt had failed and the sign had swiveled down until the truck icon was pointing straight at the ground. That is steep!
Your talking about 175 towards 29 after Socrates Mine road... very steep... steepest grade I've driven was Ebbets pass... hwy 4 East towards South Lake Tahoe .. 24% grade on some very blind hairpins and switchbacks...
1993 26ft rbtb Born Free President E-350 7.5L V8 Rear bath twin bed 148k mil

2015 Impala LT
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

dmews001 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm Sonora Pass, California, Eastern Sierra, at 26%. We were towing our Toyota FJ Cruiser up the pass, but decided mid-way up it might be safer to disconnect the FJ and drive our Born Free 26RSB up solo with the FJ following on its own power.

We just had a Banks system installed prior to this (Oct 2016) trip and it was doing OK. Still, I was a bit concerned being in 1st gear most of the time. It was fun though....

Detlef & Ursula Mews
2007 BF 26RSB full body paint (which we like a lot)
I totally forgot about Sonora Pass. I remember it well, and drove it once. Not in a BF, but in our Subaru. Steep grades going downhill in an RV can get your attention and keep it.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”