An alternative to Smart Tile: MusselBound Adhesive Tile Mat

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

An alternative to Smart Tile: MusselBound Adhesive Tile Mat

Post by stevek »

I saw this at Lowes. Its a double backed sticky foam/ tape.
Stick to your wall. Peel the sheet and Stick any tile you want to it .
Grout the joints.
There is a video on YouTube.
Kinda pricey, I think the roll was about $26.
The salesman said it works real good. Even the do it yourself TV shows use it, he said.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 10.58.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 10.58.27 AM.png (310.1 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Re: An alternative to Smart Tile: MusselBound Adhesive Tile

Post by bcope01 »

Handy, but better get it right the first time. With tile mortar you can move the tile around or replace a tile before the mortar sets.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

bcope01 wrote:Handy, but better get it right the first time. With tile mortar you can move the tile around or replace a tile before the mortar sets.
You can also level tile on uneven surfaces with thinset - but not this. You might find it useful for small decorative applications - but I can't think of one off hand. The list of restricted applications, according to the mfr, makes one wonder what is wrong with it. (i.e., "Not for use in outdoor applications, floors, ceilings, steam rooms, shower floors and submerged projects". -Mike
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

My investigation found tile to be much heavier than Smart Tile. Weight is a big consideration for me as I always bump up against max rear axle weight.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dallas Baillio wrote:My investigation found tile to be much heavier than Smart Tile. Weight is a big consideration for me as I always bump up against max rear axle weight.
Duh - I wasn't even thinking about this as an alternative to Smart Tile in the BF. You're right Dallas, stone tile, grout and thinset - way too heavy and inflexible for my RV! ....and MusselBound does very little to offset that equation. -Mike

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”