Foam Beds

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Richard

Foam Beds

Post by Richard »

I am in the process of ordering a 2016 Born Free Freedom and am interested in peoples thoughts on the incline beds upgrade to the memory foam vs the standard foam?
daryl&mary

Re: Foam Beds

Post by daryl&mary »

We have a 2006 Built For Two with incline beds, and the regular foam is too hard for us. So we added about 3 inches of memory foam as a "topper" inside a couple of old bedrolls. Much more comfortable.

If I were buying new, I'd go for the memory foam. Other than the firmness (which some people prefer) we really like the incline beds. Very clever, and I believe unique to Born Free.

Best wishes on your new BF!
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
stevek

Post by stevek »

Interesting about the memory foam.
I have both pillows and bed topper.
They are heat/ temperature sensative.
With mine,
the colder it gets, the stiffer the memory foam gets.
But I do like them. No problem when you sleep on them.
My pillows with shredded foam are really nice. Got the pillows and topper at Costco's.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Our bed at home has a 3" memory foam mattress pad and we loved it so much I ordered one for our BF. I had added a 3" foam pad and that was good but now the bed is going to be fantastic . We don't have a "bedroom". We use the cabover. The memory foam is hard to beat.. Ii figure it's imporrtant to get a good nights sleep...Good luck.

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
2desertrats

Post by 2desertrats »

Richard,
We have the incline beds and really like them. Just remember those are also your "sofas" - do you want to sit on memory foam? We also use a 3" memory foam in our DIY "Travasaks" for sleeping & then roll up and stow for the day. The standard foam in the inclines is fine for daytime "sitting" use. Hope this helps - congrats on your new BF...........
Terri & Rick
2009 24RB
2009 24RB
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

We have a 2011 22ft Built For Two Mini with similar layout to current Freedom model. Our twin beds are fabric covered regular upholstery foam and don't incline. We have made several changes to increase comfort while using the beds/sofas during our 35,000+ miles of use over 4 summers.
1. My wife purchased 3 inch foam twin size bed toppers with zippered covers at Walmart. Because the BF beds are narrower than real "twin" beds she trimmed the toppers and covers to fit.
2. She made "fitted" sheets for each bed by taking twin bed fitted sheets and sewing a hem down the center to narrow them. These fit over the altered foam topper just like you would make a regular mattress. We left the top sheet unaltered. We leave the sheets and topper on the bed all the time. During the day we cover them with a bedspread my wife made of upholstery fabric she liked.
3. We use our favorite regular bed pillows for sleeping and leave them on the bed under the bedspread during the day.
3. We put the BF supplied back rest pillows in the attic after our first trip. They look good but don't give much back support (too short) when you are sitting on the "sofa" and they are a real pain to store out of the way at night when using the "bed". We found foam "wedge pillows" at a store that sells medical equipment like canes, walkers, etc. They are about 24"L x 24"w x 12"H. Wife had zippered covers made for them from same fabric she used for "bedspreads". We use them like you would the "inclined" function. We use the cabinets at the end of the beds for support. Use long side down for moderate incline. Long side up for maximum. Combination with regular bed pillow for more options. Great for reading or watch TV. In addition, when you put the wedge pillow upright (narrow side down) against the side wall they are used like "sofa" back rests. They give great support and are easy to store at night. We set them in the front seats.

We have a memory foam mattress at home and love it. We feel our changes to the BF beds make them just as comfortable as our bed at home.

If we were ordering a new coach we would get twin beds again without the inclining option. We feel it is just another electrical thing to eventually break. Probably would be jammed in the upright position, at night, when it is raining outside. The mechanism also takes up some valuable storage room under the bed.

Also, we would ask Born Free to build the beds so that the mattress is not secured to the frame. This is the way it is done on yachts. Then you can take the mattress out to air it, flip it over, or flip it end for end. You could also put a fitted sheet on normally.

Hope this helps with your decision process.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”