Toad Brakes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Toad Brakes

Post by Ray »

Would anyone happen to know if the ABS works on the toad when the key is in the on (tow) position and not run position?

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer, but thinking about getting a 2007 - 2010 Jeep Wrangler

I am guessing the ABS needs the ignition to be in the run position, and the engine on the toad running to function.

If I am correct on this guess I am wondering if it is better to have brakes or no brakes on the toad when pulling in snow and ice.

I am not sure if I want the brakes on the toad to lock up on ice when the RV's ABS is working - I would prefer to keep the toad behind me :)

Has anyone hit ice while towing?
jobrien

Re: Toad Brakes

Post by jobrien »

I tow a 2008 Wrangler, but never in the snow and ice. Why would you even want to chance it???

John
Ray

Post by Ray »

Because sometimes you have to go home? :(
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ray,

The ABS brake system in a toad will not be working while you are towing the vehicle because the toad battery power to the ABS system is shutoff when the ignition switch is in either the OFF or Accessory position.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Just an observation. What in the world would we do without Bill Hemme and his highly helpful advice and suggestions.

Thank You Bill. :)
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks Bill

I am not sure if that's bad, good, or really dosnt make any difference. My first thought is that in a slip/slide situation you wouldn't want the brakes in the towed vehicle locking up. (jack knife?)

But maybe if you have the sensitivities down on the brake control they wouldn't lock up.

I have a Roadmaster Even brake - I guess I need to call them and see if they will offer any comment.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I called Roadmaster - not much help with anything

I guess I will plan on turning down the sensitivity and porportional force and see how it handles when I have to encounter winter driving conditions - hopfully never, but I am pretty sure sooner or latter I will get stuck driving in it.

Thanks

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”