Towing a Large Featherlite Enclosed Trailer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Towing a Large Featherlite Enclosed Trailer

Post by whemme »

Don't know if it is advisable to tow something as large as that shown in the photo below. This photo was emailed to me by Danny Brown from Walnut Shade, MO asking me to post it for him.

Unless this trailer is mostly empty, towing something this large and heavy looks dangerous to me.
Attachments
Born Free Towing Large Featherlite Enclosed Trailor.jpg
Born Free Towing Large Featherlite Enclosed Trailor.jpg (354.7 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Even empty its weight probably exceeds the Gross Combined Weight if the coach is loaded. So other than delivery what's the point?
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

You can overcome the sway/whip issue with a Hensley Hitch. Expensive but it makes the tow both safer and easier. I have used one for 12 years and have had a number of OMB events lately thanks to the failing Michelins which blew 3 times before the recall. But the plain fact is that the brakes, drive line and power train of the gasser are completely outclassed by the weight of the 2 entities. My E350 is a PSD Sportsmobile conversion that weighs in at 10K and the trailer is also 10K - so at the limit for that chassis. My recollection is that the gasser combined weight is 15K which would limit the load in the trailer to about 500lbs.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”