Bose Wave Radio Option

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roadtech

Bose Wave Radio Option

Post by Roadtech »

I would like feedback from those who have the Bose wave radio system option in their Born Free.
1. Does it sound good?
2. Does it improve the TV sound significantly?
3. Do you lose much storage space?
4. Is it worth the price adder?
Thanks for any info.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

OK Roadtech, you didn't ask me (cause I wouldn't touch anything Bose with a ten foot pole) but because this is the internet I get to spew my opinion anyway.

Bose achieves their unique sound through a fixed distortion. They don't even attempt to reproduce a true representation of the original performance. Most audiophiles I know are amazed that Bose survives thru pure marketing, a spiffy package and an exorbitant price tag. It's the audio equivalent of the emperor's new clothes.

You can do better for less however it will require some research and planning to put together a real entertainment system for your Born Free.

If you go with the Bose you get several things, a nice looking system with a big name and price tag that will impress the impressionable.

Just my opinion.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
KTnLen

Bose Wave Radio

Post by KTnLen »

Bose Wave Systems are standard in Country Coach Class A vehicles, and I'm glad to see them in the Born Free coaches.

The Bose Wave Radio with AM/FM, and single CD player, was included with the 32-ft President prototype we purchased, and is set up to play audio from the main TV on the Bose AUX function. TV input could be from a satellite receiver, roof antenna, external cable, integrated DVD, component VCR, computer, or memory stick.

The entertainment unit on the President we purchased included the Bose, a satellite auto-tracker, a control panel, 23-in plasma TV (salon), 17-in plasma TV (bedroom) -- both TVs have integrated DVD players -- and we added a DirecTV receiver, IR Remote Extender, and VCR. Laptop computers can be connected to the TV as needed. The setup requires 110V from the generator, or 120V from shore power, but the bedroom TV can also function on 12V coach batteries, and can play DVDs while in-motion.

I like the sound, and it adds a nice depth to the LG HDTV plasma TV speakers. Playing a CD in the Bose is also a joy.

Another nice feature of the Bose is to use it with the in-motion satellite system, and a DirecTV receiver tuned it to the XM channels that are included with a DirecTV subscription. This can be done while traveling or dry camping with the genset running to produce 110V, or when camping with shore power. Near CD-quality radio, with no advertising, is nice.

As an aside, we have DirecTV at home with three receivers (two of them DVRs), and the fourth is in the RV. We filled in the paperwork required by DirecTV to extend the subscription to the RV as if it is one more receiver at home. One interesting twist is that our subscription includes 7 local channels, and these are broadcast from the satellite in a footprint that extends about 300 miles north and south, and perhaps 200 miles east and west, so we can still receive them within a day's journey. But, by extending the subscription to our RV, we have the option to pick up national feeds for the major networks by calling DirecTV and requesting them, and when we do, the local channels will be deactivated at home. This presents a problem when Len is on business trips, and Cathleen is at home, because if he requests the national feeds, she will lose local channels at home. So, in this case, he will not request the national network feeds, and will eventually lose local channel coverage. There is a small adjustment to the fees when the national feeds are taken, and a credit for the local coverage when deactivated.

In sum, we like the flexibility and fidelity of the Bose system, and find it really augments the many variations of entertainment that are available to us. Now if I can just figure out how to extend cell phone coverage, and to connect it all through Bluetooth... but that's another discussion.
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

Mike: What type of audio system do you have in your Born Free?
Mike Jean Bandfield

I don't like Bose but neither have I found the time to do much about it. Our plans are to move away from displaying a large "entertainment center" and discreetly integrate compact components into storage areas. We've had our BF for a year now and I have an Altec-Lansing 5.1 speaker and amplifier system (50w continuous RMS). It is designed for PCs but it can be modified to run direct from 12VDC which makes it very adaptable to an RV. This is the heart of the system and it will be mounted in the storage compartment behind the driver's seat. The wire center is in the TV cabinet above the coach entrance. Satellite controller, DVD player, receiver and Sat/Cab/Ant distribution reside here. We havn't purchased the flat screen TV yet. It will ride on a wall mount in the rear bedroom but will be portable enough to move to a Jotto-like mount that can adjust for viewing in the cabover bed or the living area up front.

BF's entertainment center is very nice but way too large for us (and the TV is way too high for comfortable viewing). We don't watch that much TV and would prefer the sound system to be heard and not seen. We also do a lot of boondocking style camping and prefer to keep as much equipment as possible powered via 12VDC.

In our defense, this past year our focus has been on building a house.

Sometimes I envy those who can just turn on their factory system and enjoy it like the Campaignes. On the flip side, we bought the factory solar system with the understanding that the components used would not have been our 1st choice but we didn't have the time to do it ourselves. That was a big mistake! We're now going on our 3rd set of panels and I have spent more time fixing problems and doing without the system than I would have designing and installing a good system. After this latest episode get's resolved I'll post the details.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote:We're now going on our 3rd set of panels...
Mike:

Living in Oregon's "City of Sunshine" (300+ days/year), it is most important to get those panels working properly.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Jean Bandfield

bcope01 wrote:Living in Oregon's "City of Sunshine" (300+ days/year)
Not many folks know that. Are you familiar with our neighborhood?

Yes, sunny ... but cool (It's noon and 46 right now). I guess by Oregon standards Klamath Falls is pretty sunny but Escondido its not. We like it for the peace and tranquility.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mike Jean Bandfield

We've got a great story to tell though it won't surprise anyone on this forum.
A few months back Mike wrote:...we bought the factory solar system with the understanding that the components used would not have been our 1st choice but we didn't have the time to do it ourselves. That was a big mistake! We're now going on our 3rd set of panels and I have spent more time fixing problems and doing without the system than I would have designing and installing a good system. After this latest episode get's resolved I'll post the details.
The panels Born Free had chosen looked OK to me but lacked a track record. They were light weight, low profile and promised minimal maintenance. And since solar panels typically have a 25+ years warranty it seemed a to be a reasonable risk. But stuff happens.

A few weeks ago I noticed the 3rd set of panels had failed and we were now beyond the mfr's warranty period. I wasn't worried - over the past 15 mos. we've come to know that Born Free goes the extra mile for their customers. The panel mfr, has not reimbursed BF the repair costs - only the product replacement and yet BF has willingly paid the 3rd party labor and materials to do the considerable repairs on our coach with each replacement. Yes, it's been a frustrating experience but I can only imagine how much worse it might have been given the reputation of the RV industry in general and many RV dealers.

I called the factory and explained the latest situation to Kim Olsen. There was no argument, no finger pointing, no excuses: This time he simply proposed to reimburse us the original purchase price and make any needed repairs to the coach and BF has swiftly followed through on Kim's promise. Wow!

Thank you Kim and Born Free :!: :!: :!:

Mike (One happy camper 8) )
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I think your story is classic explanation of one of the reasons Born Free has such loyal customers.

I know that I've had probably more problems than average, but one thing I cannot complain about is a) how fast they get back to me after I call, b) how courteous and professional (and downright friendly) they are, c) how they go the extra mile to solve the problem, even if it just means phoning a manufacturer and putting on the pressure for you and d) doing top notch work as quickly and soon as humanly possible.

Their service is pretty much the best I've ever seen anywhere.

Trisha
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

There's a lot of us that feel the same as Trish....After my experience with BF during the Iowa Rally, I wouldn't even think of buying any other kind of RV...Course the one I have now ('99 RSB) is just like new after they got through with all the upgrading, etc. There's not another company like them and of course we're all lucky to own their product! 8) (Or maybe just smart.......)
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

I have to agree 100% with Mike Banfield about Bose. However, I would like to add another side. To the no audiophile, Bose does sound pretty good. Yes, they have great marketing - for them. I call it price fixing. Their products makes it easy for the everyday consumer to get decent sound, at a very high price. I would never buy it, only because I am a critical listener and a cheapo to boot. I am running a Harmon Kardon Receiver/CD player hooked up to Canton Speakers. Still searching for a good and cheap sub.

For listening to the TV, I actually use Sennheiser wireless headphones, so not to distrurb the wife.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Well, there's another reason that bose is attractive.

To get into the 'audiophile' thing...you have to start mixing and matching components and buying one kind of amp and another kind of whatever and another kind of whatever and another kind of speaker and then go through the trouble of figuring out how to hook it up (after spending half a year researching)....

Thanks but no. I want decent sound and I don't want to spend six months researching it and another six months getting it to work.

Why can't some of these companies that have 'true' sound (all the bose-bashers) make their systems integrated and less complex.

I have other things to do with my time.

Besides, for the bit of fidelity you get better than bose (are you sure you can even hear it....most people I know in my age group or higher are hard of hearing anyway)..is it worth the time to you?

Maybe electronic measuring instruments are able to sense the difference, but my question is, have all the audio purists had their hearing tested to find out if those differences can even be registered? Most men lose hearing first in the higher register (women's voice register) ...funny but true... but then how is it they care so much about the fidelity of sound they can't hear?

So, Bose is more expensive. But what's a person's time worth? You can easily spend thousands worth...then the bose looks pretty economical. I'm going to spend the equivalent time doing something else besides figuring out all this component nonsense (still can't get over that most of those companies don't offer a nice, neat little package) and I'll write a book or make the equivalent back pretty quickly for the time I don't fritter away. Or perhaps spend a couple months in Alaska <g>

So, mabye those of us who buy something that doesn't require a degree just to put together and choose...are the smart ones, even if we did spend a little more? In the long run, it depends on how you value your time.

<smile>

Trish
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Well said Trish....and I know you're a whole bunch sharper (and more patient) than I am....I don't have a Bose in my RV, but I do have one in my home and I have to say, I absolutely love it. As far as 'sound'...well, you guessed it....My hearing is certainly NOT what it used to be...and after being checked there's not much can be done at this time. I'm happy to just be able to hear let alone worry about whether the sound is extraordinary....Anyhow, just my 2 cents... 8)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I agree with Trish and Charlotte. Even though I had to save for quite some time before I thought that I could afford it, I'm glad I waited to get my BOSE Wave Radio/CD I have at home. It replaces decades of accumulation of "audiophile" equipment. I love the sound AND the ease of use.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

I have been quite happy using a Klipsch Pro-media 2.1 THX computer sub-woofer and two external speaker system hooked up to a small dvd screen or computer system. The sound is extraordinary and the price is around $180.00 at Best Buy.
Cambridge Soundworks has systems very similar to the Bose systems for about half the price.
Hope this helps or sheds a different light on things.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”