Front Window Leak

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dude

Front Window Leak

Post by Dude »

I just developed the typical front window leak. I am camping this coming weekend so I took my BF out for a spin the weekend before to make sure I have no surprises on Friday and I found one. Started fine, drove out of the driveway fine and down the block. Made a turn and drip drip drip from the cab roof on the passenger side. Turned the other way and drip drip drip from the driver side. There's water rolling around up there.

Friday night we had a fierce rainstorm. I am 98% positive the water is new and not old. I took everything down from the cab bunk. I don't mind the water, the leak can be fixed, I don't want to have everything wet and start to smell and cause other damage. Just a small corner of the mattress was damp so I have that down and airing/drying out. I don't have time this week to try to find and fix the leak. So once everything is dry I'll through the mattress back up there and enjoy my weekend. I'll work on it when I get home.

The previous owner bought it with a leak and was able to seal it himself. It lasted 3-4 years. I have to diagnose where the water is dripping from and where it is entering. I know it can drip in one area but enter from a completely different area of the roof. Any DIY people ever diagnose and fix a front window leak? What did you find and how? I was thinking of setting up my sprinkler so it hits the roof and see what happens.

No, I am not driving to humbolt to get a fiberglass nose put on.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I had a leak in my cabover window, too, and took it to a local RV center. They took it out and replaced the seal with 'industrial grade' material and it's been fine since and we have a lot of rain, some very heavy. It was expensive but well worth it. BTW, the service tech said that there was no damage [and there are no stains inside at all] because it was all fiberglass.

I ordered a new Tiger TX and have requested no front cabover windows.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I thought the RV engineers finally figured out that the front windows are a bad idea and stopped putting them in anyway. If I bought one brand new I wouldn't get one with a front window.

I talked it over with DW and I will take it to an autobody/glass shop to see what it will cost for them to take the window out and reseat it. I'll ask about a heavy duty gasket. It cost me $100 to have the gasket redone on my van so even if it costs $150 or $200 I may have that done -vs- trying to seal it myself. I know when sealing windshields you have to be careful of what you use because most caulks eat away at the automotive caulk and make the problem worse.

Much research is needed. It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow in PA so my first bit of research will be to grab a beer and sit in the RV to see if I can see it leak while it rains.
Matt
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

even if it costs $150 or $200
Good luck with that. Cost me about $1500!
Dude

Post by Dude »

$1500 :shock:

Looks like I'll be researching what Home Depot keeps on the shelf for sealants.
Matt
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

We have a 1991 26'. We bought it knowing the cab over window leaked. I even spoke with Kim at the factory before our purchase. He said you can try resealing with polyurethane caulk, but what they do is cut off the nose and replace it with a fiberglass cap. We bought the BF, we call her Kimba, and tried sealing. We also tried getting local window repairs, but no one would touch it. Ours was warped and had a fine crack starting. We are in MA, so the trip to Iowa was a big deal for us. We went for the kids April vacation last year, I could post for pages about it, weather was horrible, drive was frightening at times. Kids were bored with too much time on road, etc. Kimba did great, my husband drove and did great. Biggest scare was awning opening part way on highway. We could pull over and take care of it, we were very lucky. Bottom line, cab area doesn't leak anymore, looks nice, Kim and the rest of the people at BF were great. We are happy with the result. Our bed system was missing when we got Kimba and we did not opt for the replacement bed, it basically doubled the cost. We have built a way to support a queen size air mattress, that we can put up or take down. It's a bit tight, height wise, so I am considering other options, but this works. I would recommend calling Kim and getting all the details fom him. Good luck! Reni
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have used Butyl tape on my popup and my stove vent on the BF. I'll research it for use on the window.

Having the window or not is a non issue for me because I cover it with reflectix. It is too bright and hot up there when the sun hits it.

If I can't get it to seal I will just buy a can of tar and seal it that way before I spend the money to drive out to Iowa. I know the tar will work. Thats what we did with the plexiglass skylights in my parents house. I'm camping, not entering a car show. I don't care what it looks like, I want to camp.
Matt
Dude

Post by Dude »

Thankfully it is raining tonight. Why and I glad it is raining? Yes I have a garden that could use the rain but more importantly I was able to find out where the leak is. It turns out that the marker lights on the roof are also leaking. The cab window seal has little pinhole leaks. I didn't think it was bad except as I touched the seal more water would come out.....so the whole seal is filled with water and just leaking in a few spots. I gotta redo the whole seal for the cab window. At least there is no damage to anything.

Now to find the right product. for the window. I have butyl tape that I'll sue on the lights.
Matt
Ray

Post by Ray »

If you want to use butyl and your local home improvement or RV shop dosnt have any get it on ebay - problem is its never a good idea to put sealant on sealant.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dude,

In reading these responses it hit me that you may have one of the older model BFs that have a wrap around cab over window like the cars of the 50's. If so, some of the suggestions posited will not work in your situation.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Try Eternabond tape. Do it once and it's done. I used it on the roof seams on my Allegro and never worried about leaks again.

It's not the neatest looking repair, but if you don't care about appearance, I would recommend it.

John
ChuckM

Re: Front Window Leak

Post by ChuckM »

Dude wrote:I just developed the typical front window leak.
We are pleased with no window up top.
But but I had your problem, I try this first. The price is right.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAPT-TOLLEY-CRE ... 17-4813229
Dude

Post by Dude »

I stopped at my RV garage and the guy said it is easy to seal, you just need to take your time and cut the old stuff out and clean it up before you put the new caulk down. And he charges $85 per hour. I'll get my ladder out this weekend and see what it looks like if I'm wiling to tackle it.
Matt
Ray

Post by Ray »

Matt

I think you will find its not all that hard once you figure out how to get to it - I don't do well on ladders anymore so I had someone pull the whole window and frame out and then I cleaned up the frame/window seal (glass to frame), repaired the frame, resealed, and made a new inside trim/frame - then had them put it back in.

They actual used 2 ladders and a pick (plank) to build a scaffold of sorts - other wise its kinda awkward working up there.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

The technician who did mine explained that these windows have a particularly flat angle and are more susceptible than most and harder to fix.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”