Peeling on arm of mirror

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Peeling on arm of mirror

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Hi all

The drivers side arm of the mirror is peeling. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? If so what did you do to stop the madness of the peeling?

Thanks

Jo
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 10844 times
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have this problem on my right side mirror. I painted it with matching auto spray paint and touch it up occasionally with the small "nail polish'" size touch up paint. I could have done a much better job if I had put forth more time and effort. I think it is due to poor preparation of the metal before painting.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
96rsbowner

Post by 96rsbowner »

mine are doing that too, i took both mirrors off the vehicle and scraped all the loose paint off and repainted the entire mirror . still i might have the same thing occur on down the road . the best way would have been to have the metal parts of them sandblasted to bare metal and repainted by a shop but it could get expensive. i think the mirrors run around $350 for new ones.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Ouch.. The cost of new mirrors at this point is more than we want to spend. Right now I'm working on getting the Born Free mats for the steps. I think we'll touch them up and go from there. Is anyone seeing it in other location? Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know we're not the only ones with this going on..
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

I just fixed mine
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

What kind and color of paint did you use so I get the right stuff?
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I certainly would not hesitate at calling Velvac and see if they would offer a replacement arm or compensation. Seems the paint should hold up much longer than that. Never hurts to ask.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I will check with Velvac. We appreciate your help, thank you.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Please let me know if Velvac will cover a 10 year old product - If so, maybe they will not only cover the costs of fixing my current ones - but maybe reimburse me for the ones on my previous BF

I do not mean to say anything negative about Veltac or any posts on this subject or site - if I did, I apologize, That was not my intent. Pls PM me if you need a personal apology as I dont want to get censored from this site because of any disagreement of, my believes, or opinions of this subject.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Ray wrote:Please let me know if Velvac will cover a 10 year old product...
They may or may not, but doesn't hurt to ask. FWIW, the paint on the side of the cab still looks fresh. Don't think its asking too much for the paint on the mirror arm to do the same.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
96rsbowner

Post by 96rsbowner »

the paint i used was rust oleum spray with a clear finish over it. home depot has it. i used pure white, i know it doesnt match the body but it doesnt bother me. they do have an ivory color that comes close to the offwhite that was on them before.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I think I'll send off an email to them just to see what happens. I'm not expecting much but it's worth a try. I doubt we'll wait for a response. I think we'll just go ahead and touch it up. I have the picture to refer back to if needed. Thanks for the paint kind and color you used. We just didn't know where to start.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Depending on your answer from Velvac I would have the arm cleaned and properly prepared and painted by a professional using the Ford paint code listed on the door sticker (Oxford white). For small road chips I used the Ford Oxford white touch up tubes found in most auto supply stores.
Mel & Connie
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Mel,
That's not a bad suggestion to take it to someone who paints with ford paint. I may just price that out. Otherwise is good yo know the color.

Thanks so much
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Sam,

Ours is the exact same way. The right arm is great. It makes you wonder what they did different to have this happen. That is the only place that's doing it as well. Hum...
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”