Questions Regarding Buying a Born Free...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Desert Diva

Questions Regarding Buying a Born Free...

Post by Desert Diva »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and interested in buying a Born Free. I recently looked at a 2002 Rear Bed with 35,000 miles, but the owner was firm in asking $26,500.

However, the windshield was cracked, there were a couple of light covers missing, the rear back-up camera was missing (stolen), and there was a minor ding in the rear where he had backed into something.

He said it was in the "top 1%" of Born Free rigs for sale because he always stored it in a covered facility.

Obviously, I didn't agree, offered him less and passed. Nada says average retail is $21,000 and that's all the bank/credit union will loan. (I'm paying cash, but wanted to check.)

Do Born Free's usually sell greatly above the Nada price?

Did I do a "smart thing" in walking away?

Thanks for any and all help.
shezonit

Buy it!

Post by shezonit »

If I had seen one that new for that price when I was shopping, I would have bought it. Think of the new price...
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Born Free and a few other top makes usually do sell for above NADA value. Even so, I would be reluctant to buy an RV from someone with so little regard for maintenance.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I agree with shezonit - I think that was a good price. I am sure some others will disagree and tell you about better deals. But I looked around allot before buying either of the two BF's I have had now, expect to pay more than book for a BF in good reasonable condition. There is always some wear and tear if you look at a used anything close.

But also agree with mockturtle - I would have been leery of the condition. Why were not the items fixed? For example, if the windshield just broke - ok. If it had broke 5 years ago and they didnt bother fixing it I would be very concerned what else they let slide. Even with a real good inspection there are probably going to be surprise's. But if you get the feel that the people did not do proper maintenance I would be worried, there are just to many things that could cost thousands of dollars if they were not maintained properly. Wonder if they didnt bother to change the oil?
shezonit

Buying Used

Post by shezonit »

I have only bought one NEW vehicle in my life and that was a motorcycle. So I have bought a fair number of used cars and 2 RVs. Have had no real bad surprises.
Odd that they didn't fix the windshield before selling, but he probably figures he's giving it away...

Diva, I still think something that new, with that low miles, is a good deal.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Agree, the stuff that was wrong would have just made me dig deeper, ask more questions, ask for maintenance records, and really crawl through it - But I also think it was a good price. Mine is a 2001 with higher mileage and I paid more than that for it a little over a year ago.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Is this it?
I have seen it before on Craigs.
It has been on the market for a while.
Funny he would not budge on price.
Must be in no hurry to sell.
But it does look nice for the price. Have you seen the price of the new ones?
Looks to be the original owner.
Also that its always been garaged is a plus.

http://lascruces.es.craigslist.org/rvs/4351235256.html

PS... I think that "scam" BF is still on Craigs.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

The guy might have priced it at what he thought was a fair market value (still sounds low depending on condition) and is standing his ground. I learned you should never ever do this - always figure what you need and add a few thousand, if the buyer cant negotiate you down they feel its not a good deal and will walk.

Kinda like the store marking something up 50% then knocking 40% off on clearance so they can sell more product.

Everyone wants/has to get a good deal. (in their mind)
shezonit

This price

Post by shezonit »

ONE OWNER, LOW MILES. Like new. (Well except for that windshield...)
The guy paid the new price, knows the current new price, and probably figures he is giving it away.
Yeah, I'd go over there with 25K cash. IF I hadn't bought this one, for well over NADA..... :-p Dang....
shezonit

Oops

Post by shezonit »

I just realized it has the cabover bed, instead of the great storage cabinets I have. Yes I would have used the bed for storage, but.
ALSO has the front cab window? I thought BF stopped putting those in? Do they leak? Eventually?
Ray

Post by Ray »

I will never buy another with a front cab over head window
Ray

Post by Ray »

EVER !!!!!!!
shezonit

Just tell us how you really feel, Ray.

Post by shezonit »

I guess they leak.
When I was shopping for a used Class C, almost all of them I looked at had water damage , or at least evidence of a leak, in the cabover windows.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Do they leak? Eventually?
Indeed they do! :( It cost me dearly to get mine fixed!
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

If you decide to reconsider double check the generator rating if the one Stevek links to is the one you considered. Standard generator for that year is 4K not the 6k in the ad.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”