24' Rear Side Bed?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

schhikara

24' Rear Side Bed?

Post by schhikara »

Hi,

I have been researching born free motor-homes and really like them. I was wondering if anyone knew what year I could get an older 24' with rear side bed. I need it to have the e450 chasis since I plan on towing a 5000 lb open car trailer. Also, is it easy enough to convert the rear side bed into bunk beds? I have two son who would love it. I plan on using it to go mainly to the race track and occasionally short trips. It seems like the perfect setup.

Anyone have one for sale or know of one being sold? 1998-2000?

Thanks
-Sid-
Ray

Post by Ray »

I think your going to have a problem finding this.

When I was looking for my first (24') I think I only ran across one with a rear side bed, and then add the E450 and I think you may have one heck of a time finding one. I think the most popular was the 24' rear bath E350 (thats what I had). You may want to expand your search to include 1997 - my 1997 had a Triton V10 in it and would pull anything.

There are a few diesels out there - I am not sure how strong they are - never had or looked at them.

Make sure you check this forum - I also have a pretty good search link for Bf's that I have posted before - it searches across several sites. Send me a PM if you want it - its not easy for me to get to right now. Or you can go to clazorg.com and build your own
shezonit

Rear Side Bed and cabover

Post by shezonit »

You didn't say how old your sons are. My older 26 ft one has no cabover bed, has huge storage instead. The foldout sofa is a marvel, though. In 2 seconds you have a nice long flat bed. I have visitors sometimes and I can give them their own bed, upper side closet and big under sofa drawer. There is SO much space in a 26. You get a sofa and a dinette. I don't think the extra 2 feet makes a huge difference in weight or MPG, especially if you are not taking long trips.
Just saying- I agree with Ray and Sam- 24s with rear bed are pretty rare, 26 not so much.
schhikara

More details..24'

Post by schhikara »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info. Mostly I plan on using it to go to the race track and need to tow a 5000 lb trailer (car + aluminum trailer) around 8 times a year. Mostly it will just be me and my lazy dog at the track so having a rear bed that I don't have to make is key. I do want to take a few smaller trips with the whole family (three kids + lovely wife) so it will be necessary to have a cab over bunk.

I figured that the 24' on the E450 chassis will have more weight to spare for towing since I want to be as safe as possible. Also the 24' will be most maneuverable.

I wonder if a diesel would be better to tow vs the v10?

Thanks again,
-Sid-
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

The diesel makes a HUGE difference to the towing experience. I do much like you except I tow a 10k enclosed trailer and have had so many safety issues that I have mandated for myself that I will never tow above 75% of the capacity of the rig and particularly the tires. This is difficult to achieve with the E series in any form and impossible with the gas engine.

Of course all of this was heavily impacted by the Michelin failures.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”