Buyer Beware

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Buyer Beware

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I replaced my existing toilet that was 12 years old with a new Thetford model 31680.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Thetfo ... -RV-Toilet

Big mistake. When the foot pedal is depressed and the blade assembly that dumps the waste opens there is no cylinder (pipe shaped) connection between the blade assembly and the black water tank. It is just an opening that traps some of the waste on irregular shaped ledges. It takes a toilet brush pushed through the blade assembly to remove the trapped waste so that it can flow into the black water tank.

As I write this I am so incredulous that I've decided to call Thetford to determine if I purchased a defective model, one with missing parts.

I checked the installation manual that has "exploded" toilets with parts identified and although these schematics are not the best it appears that mine is not missing a key part.

Does anyone reading this post have the same model? Is it like mine without a direct cylinder between the blade assembly and the black water inlet?

My advice? Don't buy this model.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

Wow - Thats not good. Hope they have a fix. Please lets us know the out come. - Ray
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I visited a RV parts store. Model they had in stock was of same construction as mine. Called Thetford and rep said they have had no complaints. So appears I have no recourse except to live with it or replace with another brand. If you have a Thetford toilet of recent make what is your opinion?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Our 2001 had a slider valve in toilet and below was a 4 inch pipe straight down. The 2011 has a flapper valve and pipe arrangement looks the same. Both were Thetfords and it seems to me that the pipe might be too short for the toilet you replaced. Sorry if this is not helpful.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks for your response. Evidently Thetford changed design after 2011. It isn't a problem with length of the cylinder or pipe, it is there is none. The Thetford rep made it sound as though I was in the wrong for expecting a direct connect between the slider blade and the opening into the black water tank. This is one of those times when I realize I should have been a more careful shopper. Still it seems to me that a customer should expect a product to be carefully designed for it's intended purpose. Gullible me :cry:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas,

Have you talked to the factory? Obviously, either the new coaches would have the same problem you have, or Born Free has modified the black tank connection to the toilet, or they are using a different toilet. In any case, they might be able to offer suggestions.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I tried to call Kim earlier but he and Ed were in Tucson. I spoke with him today. BF uses Dometic toilets.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Ray

Post by Ray »

That is strange - I guess my question to Thetford would be if they make one that will replace a Dometic?

Seriosly if you cant direct replace a Dometic with a Thetford that really limits Thetfords after market share.

On the other hand if a Dometic can Replace a Thetford it would appear that the only brand to buy would be Dometic?

Confusing :?
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

OK, it sounds as if BF has changed toilet suppliers recently. Our 2006 24RB has a Thetford, not a Dometic. Can Kim or Ed explain why they changed? Like, maybe your problem was seen by BF? I know it is a pain to throw away money, but would a Dometic toilet solve your problem?
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Joe,

Not sure what I will do now. May keep what I have and see what happens. I've had the Thetford for 3 months w/o an odor problem so maybe I will accept my mistake and move on.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

I have seen the insides of a new Dometic 310 and it has a similar arrangement..toilet bowl, then the valve, then 10 inches of open drop through a hollow base.

Since I've been working on overhauling the 15 year old Galaxy/Starlight in our RV, I know what the insides of that base will look like in a short time. I was shocked they didn't have an inner tube drop from the flush valve down to the toilet flange gasket.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Well it begs the question "What were they thinking?" I think their engineers said "We want a tube/cylinder to link the blade assembly to the tank opening" and the cost cutters said " we can save 25 cents per unit in plastic costs and increase our profit by ditching it and the CEO, thinking of the shareholders and his golden parachute' said "screw those who expect a quality product." "We will never admit we knew better, tell customer service to say we have never had a complaint about this." RV owners complaints are then ignored and downplayed as sour grapes from grouchy old farts. Cynical and suspicious? You bet I am.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shezonit

Toilets

Post by shezonit »

After reading your post, I had to go examine the loo....
Mine is a SeaLand "Traveller". Same as what is in a 2001 park model I own. Ceramic bowl. Clean flush, meaning I rarely have to use the brush.
So maybe you have a 3rd choice. Replacing it in those tight confines? OMG.

I'm sure you already know this, but here goes. I have noticed that every time I think I have a loo or black tank problem, I find out I wasn't using enough water to move the solids..... Are you filling the bowl?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”