Just ordered a new Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harrisgowing

Just ordered a new Born Free

Post by harrisgowing »

We are renting a home near the rv show in Tampa, Florida and after 2 days at the show, just ordered a new 27 foot Splendor with a slide and 550 diesel engine. The new coaches are beautiful! So many upgrades from our beloved 2004 RSB with 125,000 miles that we were persuaded. We are very excited! Thank you, Ed, for all of your help and information. Born Free is still the greatest for us. Most of all, we trust the product and the people who produce and market it.

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Congratulations! When will you take delivery?
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Three months, I think. We are still sort of in shock because we had been looking for a good used one and hadn't really intended to buy new again, but at age 70, we are going out in style!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Did they provide any discounts for ordering at the show?
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

No.
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, Sam!
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Yes, it is our first diesel. The whole package was irresistable for our circumstances. It is a wonderful ensemble of function and quality.
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
shezonit

New Born Free!

Post by shezonit »

Congratulations! And I hope you will report 125,000 miles in the next 5 years..... :-)
A diesel AND a slide! Big change! Enjoy......
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

No, it won't be ready until late May but we are currently having a great time at the Treasure Coast rally in FL in our old coach. We were fortunate to see a diesel Splendor here without a slide that will be very similar to ours and it is wonderful! We also picked up some modifications that we will request. We are very excited and are planning to bring it to homecoming this June.
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
CraigNW

Post by CraigNW »

harrisgowing wrote:We were fortunate to see a diesel Splendor here without a slide that will be very similar to ours and it is wonderful! We also picked up some modifications that we will request.
Congratulations!! Would you care to share what modifications you are adding.

Also, any idea of MPG to expect?
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Craig, scroll down the list of options for the Splendor in the F series with a slide and diesel engine, and we ordered almost all of the options. We did not get liquid springs, heated floor or a pedestal sink. As Chuck says, we swallowed this hook, line and sinker and even ate the fisherman! We also added some very nifty modifications we learned from the Dittmers: a shelf in the nose cone storage area, which is taller and more shallow than the storage area of the E series; a cabinet above the toilet which is possible because the F series has a higher ceiling; and some grab bars. Just waiting for it to be born and if at all possible, we will bring it to homecoming in Iowa in June.

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Did you get 4WD?
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

No, it is too pretty for off roading,
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I find 4WD to be useful in many on-road situations.
Vlamgat

F series Triumph

Post by Vlamgat »

I just took delivery of an F series Triumph. Also went with the diesel as it's used to tow a trailer. I did get the 4wd option and have used it on 2 occasions since delivery in February. I have had some minor issues all of which were addressed by the BF team with enthusiasm. I am interested in comparing notes with you and any other F series owners.

The first question I have is rear tire pressures. My 11k lbs over the rear axle says I need about 90 psi. It rides very hard over some of the terrain that we call roads in the US. BF says I should be using 85 psi but the math does not support that low a pressure given the average tire loading of about 2750 lbs.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”