Need advice on towed vehicle brake system

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hansen

Need advice on towed vehicle brake system

Post by Hansen »

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited to tow behind our 2011 BFT Mini. The Wrangler weighs about 3500 lbs and the Mini is about 10500 lbs with full tanks. Because of the weight distribution I need a top quality towed vehicle brake system to progressively and proportionally activate the Jeep's brakes when I brake the Mini.

I have narrowed my preferred choices for a brake system to the following:
- Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060.
- US Gear Unified Tow Brake (UTB-1000)
- SMI Stay-In-Play Duo

Has anyone on the forum had experience with any of these systems? Any comments, advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

I am using the US gear unified break system. I originally bought it for our Jeep then I moved it to my Honda Fit and it now is getting ready to be installed in our new Honda CRV.
Obviously I like this unit.

Jim
Hike

Post by Hike »

I had the SMI installed in my Honda in 2005. At that time it had a box that needed to be hooked up when I towed. It worked great right up till this summer when I upgraded to the new version. Now all that needs to be done is to flip a switch and it is ready to go. Nothing to take in or out, nothing to set up.

I love how well it works and the ease of setup.
bill crommett

toad brakes

Post by bill crommett »

We went with the SMI system because we had no place to store the other units when driving the toad. The entire system controller sits under the passenger seat and all that is needed to do is to unplug from the motor home and flip the controller switch and GO. Nothing could be easier nor simpler.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Another system that is gaining popularity is the RVI unit. This was developed by the originator of the Brake Buddy system back in 1994. http://www.rvibrake.com/
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”