Used Born Free Advice

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

troutman1971

Used Born Free Advice

Post by troutman1971 »

I am in the market for a used Born Free. It will be my first RV although I've had many years of camping experience. I have a wife and two small children and a budget of $30-40K. I am leaning towards the 24RB with the cab over, couch and incline as my sleeping options. I am wanting any advice you all may have and if there were significant changes and improvements in the past 10 years that I should be aware of when choosing between model years. Thanks in advance.
Mark

2003 26 RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mark, if there are going to be four of you, here is a good deal in your prices range, in like new condition and that maximizes sleeping accommodations. And it is advertised right here on this website:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=3155

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
al1florida

Re: Used Born Free Advice

Post by al1florida »

troutman1971 wrote:I am in the market for a used Born Free. It will be my first RV although I've had many years of camping experience. I have a wife and two small children and a budget of $30-40K. I am leaning towards the 24RB with the cab over, couch and incline as my sleeping options. I am wanting any advice you all may have and if there were significant changes and improvements in the past 10 years that I should be aware of when choosing between model years. Thanks in advance.
Mark,
You might want to rent a 24' class C, that does not have slide outs, for a weekend to see if meets your needs. The BF's can be pretty tight for 2 adults and 2 children.

If you are only going to use the MH for weekends and/or a week or two vacation each year, you could consider buying a less expensive class C than the BF. While I think the BF is well made, especially the interior cabinets and such, you can get a little larger MH with slides and probably a newer model for your $30-40K than you will for the BF.

Whatever you buy, check the date code on the tires...Google "tire date code" for details on where to find the date of mfg on the tires.

Also find a reputable mobile RV repair person and pay them 3-4 hours of labor to inspect any rig you are planning to buy. It will be money well spent.
Longld

Re: Used Born Free Advice

Post by Longld »

Sam Ryan wrote:
troutman1971 wrote: The ride of the E450 Ford's rear axle is a negative to me. My coach has since day one had a slamming and jarring effect when crossing almost any bump. I did not know this problem existed, until after I bought my Born Free.
Sam,
I also noticed this in my 26RSB 2005 the past few weeks on a 2000 mile jaunt. Have you tried adjusting the air shocks? Just trying to figure out what to do next - funny that I have not seen this comment before in all of the posts I have read.
lee
Lee & Mary Long, 2005 RSB 26 V10 GAS
Phoenix, Arizona
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

Back to the original post, for two adults and two small children, a 26RSB (rear side bed) would seem to be better than the 24 footer. You have a fixed bed in the back, a jacknife sofa, and the cabover sleeper. Regarding improvements, don't think there is anything earth shaking in last 10 or 12 years. My 2002 26 RSB doesn't really lack.
Regarding ride quality, any class C built on the Ford E450 will be the same. They don't ride like a Class A. Keeping the rear duals at 75 psi instead of 80 psi does make a difference. But they are easier to drive in tight spaces, less susceptible to bow wave from 18 wheelers, cross winds, etc.
Regarding leaks, have had no problems with my 2002. Overall, it has aged well exterior and interior because of the quality built in. Some truth to what John Dodgen said - any other motorhome is a project.
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I have no driveability problems with my 1996 26rsb. It has a 460 V8 and I am not sure if it is E350 as it says only Super Drive on the side. Ford dealer says the 460 V8 is a wonderful engine. I never have problems with normal road bumps and the coach rides smoothly on the interstates and most major roads. If I were bringing children with me on a regular basis I would pick the 27 rsb. I also think I would really prefer a small class A with slides if more than two people were a common occurence. Not sure I could put up with kids trapped indoors in my 26 rsb on a rainy day.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

There is good advice in these posts. I have the 26 Rear Side Bed. Although my wife and I are not big, the bed, to us, is not comfortable for two. And if you are a large person the bathroom on the 26RSB is a tight squeeze. If you buy a BF your choice of the 24RB should work well.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I agree that the rear bed on a 26or 27 rsb is nearly impossible for two. If you have to get up during the night you have to climb over each other and wake the other person up. I am 5'8" and barely fit length wise. Many times wife sleeps on the bed and I sleep on the couch. 24 rb is a better choice for a couple.
Brent

Post by Brent »

There is a saying some RVers have - some live in their coach and some live out of it.

I guess I've always been one that lived out of it. We go park and are usually out doing something so kind of prefer a smaller size as it's easy to park, maneuver and avoid towing a car. Put out the awning and set outside when we can. If I were to go somewhere and spend much of my time in the coach, cooking, eating, watching TV etc. a bigger coach or one with bump outs might make sense and maybe tow a vehicle.

One key I’ve found to a smaller living space is only take what is needed and keep reasonably well organized on the trip. Things put in place, etc.

I think the suggestion of renting a 24' unit for a trip is a good one - will give you an idea. Good luck.
Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”