Leak in Overhead

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Leak in Overhead

Post by Brent »

I have a leak in the overhead - finding water just below the overhead window.

BF customer services says use GE rubberized silicone. Other websites say that is a bad thing to use and some of the selections are Eternabond tape or PR-255, Parlastic or similar.

Any recommendations - I've seen on one search some have recommended Dicor?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

You hear a lot of nonsense about not using silicone. I think where it started was with rubber roofs, as it is apparently incompatible. I recently had my windows professionally resealed and they used rubberized silicone. It's flexible and conformable. It's also stable. No doubt there will be naysayers.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I too have a persistent leak in the Cabover window in my 2002 RB. The water comes out from the lower right hand corner of the window. I have had the window removed by a professional RV service center and recaulked to better than original specifications. After the second try the window stopped leaking for awhile but resumed after several months. They then tried stopping the leak 2 more times with various sealants. No success. The technicians comment about class C's in general was that the OC windows are too big and the buffeting by the wind going down the road and the natural twisting of the body will defeat just about any attempt to seal that particular window. There must be something to it as 2002 was about the last year that Born Free put a window in the OC area. My solution is to have the window removed and replaced with a fiberglass patch sealed to the body that Born Free developed last year. If interested , speak to Kim at BF. I have an appointment at the factory in August to have this done. I am hoping that that is the last of the leak. Yes, I did have the marker lights checked, resealed and some replaced and the roof seams checked.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thank you Sam and Joel - good information. Do you happen to have an idea of what this "patch" would cost that replaces the overhead window?

I wonder if anyone has one that doesn't or hasn't ever leaked?
Brent
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I am planning on keeping the coach for many more years. The cost at the factory to have this done is $1200 and takes 2 days. Have to check in to motel while it is being done. My local RV shop estimated a substantially higher cost. They would be building a wood structure to replace the window and applying a sheet of fiberglass in the opening. As I understand the BF fix it is a fiberglass cap with an inside piece that is attached to the outside piece and pressed together. Sam, I assume that this fix is somewhat different from yours as I understand that it was just developed last year. You wind up without a window, which is OK with me as I always keep it covered anyway. If the factory is monitoring this site perhaps they can give a more technical description of the repair. My travel costs are not excessive as I am combining a vacation trip into it. I always wanted to vacation in Iowa. Anyone know any interesting places around Humboldt?
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Brent wrote:Thank you Sam and Joel - good information. Do you happen to have an idea of what this "patch" would cost that replaces the overhead window?

I wonder if anyone has one that doesn't or hasn't ever leaked?
Brent
My 2001 23RK never leaked in 10 years and nearly 70000. Granted we live in dry country, but it DID rain on us from time to time and we have driven in rain.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Brent

Post by Brent »

That's not inexpensive to fix what some feel is a design flaw; but I'm like you I try to maintain the coach so i can put many more miles on it and a leaking motor home does take some of the fun out of traveling - so something has to be done.

Ralph it's good to know you have a dry one. :)

Brent
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Interesting to hear that they have a fix now. I was at the shop in May last year and specifically asked if they had one as our window has leaked despite repeated "fixes". They told me at that time that they had no window removal fix available.

We keep a wall papering water trough beneath our window since it leaks so much.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
litehous

Post by litehous »

I have a 2001 23RK also, and the 1st cabover window was defective after a couple of years. BF shipped a new one to me, I had it installed by an auto glass company that knows campers. A couple of years later it leaked again, but he removed it and rechalked it and it has been fine since. Try a good Auto Glass dealer to stop the leaks.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”