Onan RpM setting

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bornie

Onan RpM setting

Post by Bornie »

I know, the Onan should run at about 1800 RpM.
I am measuring always more than 60 hz with the Kill-a-Watt.
In idle sometimes 68, under load mostly 63.

I tried to adjust the RPM with the spring loaded screw on top of the carburetor. The little metal thing what moves back an forth does not even touch it, but the RpM does not come down.
I need please some help in adjusting the RpM. . . :cry:

Cheers
Bornie
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Probably would help if you added the model # of the Gen. Are you sure Kill-a-Watt is accurate?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I set my home diesel gen-set with a Kill-a-Watt to 60Hz and it is accurate.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Bornie

The RPM of the generator are maintained by the governor.Since you do not parallel your generator to some additional generators (like the electrical grid) you do not need to maintain strict 60 Hz.

The frequency variation of your generator has little or no effect to all loads in the RV. Besides it is normal for small engine driven generators.

At 63 Hz your A/C compressor will run 5% faster - which in Florida would be welcome.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”