running AC on 15 amp circuit

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jasper2222

running AC on 15 amp circuit

Post by jasper2222 »

I just don't have the expertise in the electrical dept. I would like to plug in some times to a regular 115 volt circuit. I have a 25 ft number 12 wire extension cord, and would be utilizing a 15 amp circuit. When I use it with just the AC, I run right around 116.8 volts at the outlets in the BF. With nothing running I am getting 122.5.

When I hook up the BF to a 30 amp. circuit with the house cord and a 25 ft 30 amp extension cord I get 122.7 volts with nothing, 118.2 volts with AC and 114.2 with everything (AC, Hot water, and Refrig.)

I have not checked amperage. Do you think I need to, or can you pretty much go with the Voltage? With just the #12 wire extension cord on a 15 amp. circuit, I am getting more voltage than with the 30 amp and everything hooked up.

It is a 2005 BF 26 ft.

Thanks, Richard
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Richard,

Yes, you should add up the amperage draw of what you are using, and subtract it from the available 15 amps of AC (alternating current) available. If your AC (air conditioner) is typical, the compressor and fan draw nearly 15 amps, you should probably shut off all other 110 volt AC (alternating current) users, including switching the refrigerator to propane, turn the 110 to 12 volt converter off if it has a high amp 12 volt battery charger, and if you have electric hot water, set that to propane only. Don't run the microwave oven at the same time as the air conditioner either on a 15 amp circuit.
If you run more than 15 amps, and a breaker fails to trip, I bet your power cord gets hot, or worse, the 14 gauge wire feeding the outlet.

You may be able to run a second extension cord from another separate 15 amp circuit to power your refrigerator, you would unplug the refrigerators 110 volt ac power cord from the outlet in the outside compartment, and plug that cord into the second extension cord.

I envy your need for air conditioning in mid November. Here, north of the Mason-Dixon line, we are putting antifreeze in the water lines.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
SteveS

AC 15 amp

Post by SteveS »

I have run the AC from 15 amp service several times. I find that turning off the AC-DC converter at the breaker switch can substantially reduce the current draw.
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We have found the addition of a voltage booster to be helpful

~ see previous discussion:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ight=#2343 ~~

http://voltagebooster.com/BusConversionArticle.htm
oliverpsmile

Voltage Drop

Post by oliverpsmile »

The voltage drop is proportional of the current and of the wire resistance /#12 wire has higher resistance than #10/. It is the Ohm's law.

In your case the voltage drop is a sum of voltage drops in the extension cords and the rest of the wiring /including the utility transformer/. NEC recommends /note recommend vs. required/ the voltage drop between the electrical panel and the load not to exceed 5%.

The 114 volt with 30 amp cord and full load is quite OK /keep in mind the so called load factor /not all loads are on at the same time//. With the 15 amp cord, you have some load limitations, as noted here.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oliver is correct, you might also note that when you "buck" up the voltage you also boost the current draw on the feed.
We use a simple meter for checking current\amps\voltage and frequency when we are traveling it is a "Kill A Watt Power Monitor".
http://www.killawattplus.com/?gclid=CJT ... agodAgtOmg
They are also sold at Home Depot.
This unit is very simple to use and we leave it plugged into the kitchen outlet when we are traveling, handy for checking that we have the correct voltage when we hook up at RV parks.

Steve
Attachments
kill_a_watt_new.jpg
kill_a_watt_new.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 6944 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”