Toad Vehicle-Acura RSX

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hello moto

Toad Vehicle-Acura RSX

Post by hello moto »

Has anyone towed an Acura RSX? I thought an RSX would have the same drive train, etc. as a Honda Civic. The Acura dealer tells me that the owner's manual says that the RSX cannot be towed over 50 mph with all four down. I believe that the Honda Civic owner's manual includes a similar restriction. Can someone help me out on this?
bill crommett

towing

Post by bill crommett »

I do not know anything about the Hondas or Acords, but we tow a chevy Tracker 4 wheel Drive automatic, and the instructions in the manual state the same sort of disclaimer to get the company off the hook in case there is any drive train problems. They seemed to have figured out that nobody on the highway is going to stick to 50 MPH, so they place an impossible restriction to get themselves off the hook. I looked into a drive train disconnect, but the man at Camping World said: " Ican't sell you something in good concience that you do not need" He added: "just run the engine every 200 miles or so like the instructions call for and you will have no ploblems" Take this as an endorsement of Tracker, or Camping World, but it is mainly a snide comment on the quality of the warrenty weasels. Don't believe the dealers, call the factory tech reps for up-to-date info and listen carefully to the tone of their stammering when you ask pertainent questions.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I have the Honda Civic and my book says even more restrictive things; they say no more than 35 mph for no more than 50 miles. Yeah, right.

Honda of america has sent a letter directly to Blue Ox (and Blue Ox and maybe their websitie can provide you with this letter) that states that their car can be towed 4 down, for up to 8 hours or 400 miles. then you go through a simple procedure of starting the car and going through the gears, being very careful to switch from D to N and then turning the car off into the 1st accessory position.

At which point you're good for 8 hours or 400 miles.

Blue Ox has a copy of the letter and can tell you which cars are included. The dealer is all but hopeless in these matters.

That's been my experience. If Blue Ox cannot get some sort of clearance from the motor company, they won't make a tow plate for the car. That's what I heard, anyway.

So check directly wtih Blue Ox.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”