Any Ideas for Maintenance Issues?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Any Ideas for Maintenance Issues?

Post by Brent »

I had some work done on the engine, due to some animal chewing through a vacuum line. Now on the trip I'm noticing when the engine is under strain (a steep hill), air flow stops coming out the vents towards the riders and starts coming out the defrost vents. When the engine isn't straining (on level or downhill) it comes out the vents toward the riders again? Any ideas?

Also I had tires replaced. The result is too much vibration about 70 mph. It turns out Camping World balanced them with bags of Equal, Michelin says it is not acceptable and the tires need to be pulled off, the powder vacuumed out and properly balanced. I've pulled up some archive posts on this site as to what to properly use to balance the tires, I'll try to get it done on the trip and then have to deal with Camping World to at least get the cost of balancing back from them.

Cheez!

Otherwise things are great, Austin, TX is beautiful and the music is good.

Safe holiday to you all.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
BornFree_n_Now

Vibration

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We have used this product on our coach for the past 2 years with good success: http://www.centramatic.com/
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

vibration

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Brent, I have used Equal in our coaches for the last 20 years with no problems. I have just installed six new Michelin LTX tires with 3oz in each tire. Keep in mind that tire shops usually just drop the packet of Equal in the tire when mounting it on the rim. I takes approximately 30-50 miles of normal driving for the packets to disintegrate allowing the product inside of them to work correctly. You will definitely feel a vibration until the packets do break up allowing the material to work correctly. I cannot figure out why Michelin would say it is not acceptable to use Equal, it doesn't make sense as it has been around for years in the trucking industry and those of us that have used it in Michelin and other brands of tires have not reported any adverse conditions.
Mel & Connie
Brent

Post by Brent »

Mel,
You make a good point; I don't know the details behind the Michelin rep's comment. It was a technical help desk, in their RV group.

If it works for you, that's great - as they say "if it's not broken don't fix it". It has smoothed up some for me, but I think I'll try something else to see if I can get it improved.

The representative did say if it was used, not to let moisture get into the tire in someway, as that would cause the granules to harden and clump causing the tire to be out of balance. I would think moisture getting in would not be too likely, but I really am not knowledgeable on the subject.

I think I can get the out of balance tires resolved (famous last words!); I'm really more concerned about the air flow. I think the Ford dealer didn't reconnect something in the vacuum line correctly and it may all have to come back apart - or else live with it.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
karls

Post by karls »

Your suspicion regarding a vacuum leak is correct. The ventilation system is designed to go to defrost when there is low or no vacuum. The rodents must have eaten another line or it wasn't repaired properly.

Karl Striedieck
98 RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

It would be desirable to inflate a tire that uses balancing media with dry air to prevent caking. To get dry air from any air compressor would require that it be equipped with a moisture trap. At a typical convenience store offering an air compressor to inflate tires, they may or may not be equipped with a moisture trap and most likely the cashier in the store would not know what a moisture trap was if you asked.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”