dead battery

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve

Post by Steve »

I forgot to mention, rather than running a heavy cable forward to a switch you could mount a heavy duty relay, such as a starter relay (any auto parts store) but should be sealed from the weather, next to the battery isolator, this would cut down the expense of the heavier cable and switch. You would then install a light duty momentary switch on the dash somewhere. I would guess a 12vdc/3A switch would be sufficient.
These relays are available in various current carrying sizes, I would guess you would want to purchase a 150A rating as it is only momentary.
If you really want to get fancy, get a Marine rated switch, I think they work better than the other type and I've had both.

Steve
Attachments
Emergency Start Relay
Emergency Start Relay
relay_cd103p.gif (3.7 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

That's what I needed Steve.

So, in essence, the relay would only be engaged by a switch when the chassis battery is insufficient to crank the starter motor? This would negate the need for a manual jumper cable hookup. Brilliant.

Now, if you need to know anything about rocket science, just ask...

Len C sends.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”