What kind of oil consumption can I expect on my V10?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bigdipper

Re: What kind of oil consumption can I expect on my V10?

Post by bigdipper »

This comment does not apply to Ford diesels, but I would strongly urge NOT putting in more than 6 qts with oil and filter change of any year V10. This engine is not tolerant of over filling and aerated oil can result in a destroyed engine. At least in my case, owners manual warns to not add a quart until level is at lower hole. In addition there was a period some years back when some dip sticks were mis-calibrated and understated actual level. Don't think FOMOCO ever admitted this or issued a TSB. That manual warning may be echo of past calibration issues, or oblique reference to the above hazzards of overfilling.
Concerning 5W-20 vs 5W-30, I agree that miniscule fuel economy improvement was original motivation, but for sure these engines have proven to work very well on the 5W-20 and I would recommend stating with it. This is really splitting hairs, but the majority of engine wear occurs on start-up and warm-up. The 20 will result in a little more oil flow during warm up cycle although at operating temperatures, differences are probably not even slightly important. While on my rant here, 10W-40 is not a really good idea in any engine not originally designed for such. The current API ratings are not even enforced on that grade since "Detroit" has long ago lost interest.
Just so you can consider the source of all the above, I spent 30+ years in car and oil industry and working between them. Lots and lots of lubrication issues were involved. Also recognize that I am chronologically and technologically ancient and obsolete.
JMO!
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”