Back up camera

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tjwallib

Back up camera

Post by tjwallib »

Owner of a 2016 Royal Triumph. Recently found out some info on the original back up camera on my BF and want to share with other BF owners.

Owned the coach for 4 years now. Back up camera showing on the in dash Rand McNally unit started to act up about two years ago, 6 months ago it went completely out and showed nothing but colored vertical lines. I've made do with a wireless magnetic camera and plug in screen for hooking up a two horse trailer to the coach. It actually did a better job for hooking up the trailer than the in dash screen. But I still missed the view from the in dash unit when backing up with the trailer (don't want to jack knife the trailer into the bumper) and without the trailer backing into storage shed etc,,,

Anyway, reading through the forum, I found another post from a gentleman that mentioned his camera on an older coach had a label on it with Convoy Technologies and a model number C1000A. Well, my camera has a label, no manufacture name, but had the model number C1000A.

I did some internet searching and found
Convoy Technologies
6409 Highview Dr
Fort Wayne, IN 46818
(888) 565-2583

They are the manufacture, not a catalog reseller, you cannot order from their website. Speak with Cindy or Jody (I can't remember what her name is). She transferred me to their "technical guy" Eric, who was extremely knowledgeable about their product. He helped me confirm my existing camera was manufactured by them, with 4 pin, round, aircraft quality connection to the wiring that is in the coach.

They no longer make the C1000A, current model is the 1000M as original video sensor chip is no longer available. He advised that 1000M is a plug and play replacement, it has an approx. 27" long lead coming out of the camera, 85 degree field of view horizontally and will fit into the existing metal bracket that is holding the C1000A. I believe I was told cost was $103.00 or $109.00 plus shipping

I choose to go with their 1400A Ultrawide Angle Camera. Same 4 pin connector, same wiring to the pins, much wider field of view horizontally (145 degrees) same 27" lead length, 3 year warranty vs 1 year. Will NOT fit existing bracket, but Eric (their technical guy) advised that the 1400A bracket will have the same mounting hole spacing, so no new holes need to be drilled in the coach. He said it's just a much better camera. Very popular with their industrial end users, think cement trucks etc... Cost $219.00 plus shipping.

I found the connection from the camera to the in coach wiring behind a wood trim piece that is on the left side of the cabinet above toilet. Careful with the (4) very long wood screws securing the wood trim piece, they are long and TIGHT. I suggest going after them with hand phillips screw driver, I'd hate to snap them off with a powered driver, making removal of that trim piece a real project. You can remove the trim piece without having to remove the cabinet door above the sink, just open the cabinet door and angle/tilt trim piece out,,,,,it's snug but can be done.

Now, I have to confess that I have not actually replaced the camera yet. It's too cold in Michigan to be messing around with caulking where the camera lead goes through the body of the coach. But after speaking with Eric, I have absolute confidence this is going to solve my in dash camera view issue. And I'm guessing that Convoy Technologies is/was the supplier to other systems,,,so if you know someone with another system besides what is in the BF, you might pass this info along to them also.

Yes, my first post, sorry it's so long.
2016 Royal Triumph
John S.

Re: Back up camera

Post by John S. »

I had to replace mine on my 2015 Royal splendor and I just pulled the wire up thru the hole in the roof til I got to the connection. It was pretty easy then I pushed it back in and sealed it with silicone. I do not remember my camera but it was a generic one that fit
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”