Winterizing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

pamster868

Winterizing

Post by pamster868 »

Happy Fall Y'all!
Last year we did the pink stuff to winterize our rig. This year we want to use our air compressor to blow out the lines. What's the best way for blowing out the lines and is this better than the pink stuff? Thanks!
Pam & Jason Krinsky
Frisco, TX
2002 23' RK
admoffat

Re: Winterizing

Post by admoffat »

We've done both. We use the anti-freeze every year now, for no particular reason.

I made a fitting that was male garden hose to air hose:
IMG_3122_300x200.jpg
IMG_3122_300x200.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 807 times
This is a three-piece fitting: male garden hose to male pipe thread; female pipe thread to female pipe thread reducing coupler; male pipe thread to air hose fitting.

I connected the fitting to an air hose (which has an on-off valve), then to a (water) pressure regulator, then a short length of hose. I screwed this into the city water inlet to the coach. I turned down the outlet pressure of the air tank to 40 psi.

Remove any internal water filters and dump the water in the filter sump. Screw the sump back into place.

Open the air hose valve gently then blow the water out of all the lines. When done, relieve the pressure in the lines.

This doesn't blow water out of the internal holding tank.

Be sure to pour anti-freeze down all the drains to flush water out of the U-bends.

(Compressed air usually has a tiny amount of oil from the compressor in it. (Special compressors are used to fill SCUBA tanks so there's no oil.) It's up to you to determine if this will bother you.)
2016 Royal Splendor
Verona, WI
davids.moffat@outlook.com
whemme

Re: Winterizing

Post by whemme »

Using the air compressor method you will still need to put pink antifreeze down the p-traps under the two sinks, the shower drain and the toilet bowl.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”