pre sale questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

opselite

pre sale questions

Post by opselite »

Hey, I am looking at a 1999 BFT RB version with a diesel engine. I have a few questions/concerns regarding the cost of fixing items or what might break.

Currently has 150k miles. What have others replaced after 20 years of service?

Looking to make this purchase this week

1. Engine performance, The vehicle seemed extremely slow. Took a while to get up to 60. My basis of comparison is a 2005 Sprinter and 2008 Winnebago view on the Sprinter chassis. Can't imagine going up hills. It seemed very underpowered, especially for a diesel.

2. Transmission, This vehicle didn't really move in Drive at first. I floored it and it hardly moved as if it was in 2 or 3rd gear. Guessing some sort of transmission issue? Unsure if it was ever serviced. Is this normal for the ecocline with that much weight to be so slow?

3. Furnace, didn't blow hot but the fan worked, does it cost much to replace these? Are they known to go out after 25 years of service?

4. Water pipes, Most of the copper piping is severely corroded and needs to be replaced, Some of the connections were spewing water as well so I couldn't really test the water system. How much does something like this cost to replace all the piping underneath the sink? I guess the water heater would have to be replaced with a new tankless one.

5. Suspension and airbags, Do the rear airbags ever need replacing? This thing was bouncing like a bounce house from side to side. Is that a suspension-related issue or just normal RV ownership?

6. Cabinet hinge rust, Many of the cabinet hinges are all rusted up, Can I still buy new hinges to replace these or are they specifically made and no longer able to source them?

thanks in advance.
SeaKing1

Re: pre sale questions

Post by SeaKing1 »

Our NRVIA pre purchase inspection found that all safety equipment and sensors were original and needed replacement (fire extinguisher, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, propane leak detector). He also noted that the emergency window didn’t open and the roof needed re-sealing around tv antenna, ladder rails, plumbing vent, a/c unit, & refrigerator vent.
Hopefully someone else will respond to your other questions. There is a Facebook group specific to Born Free that you might also post your questions.
Kris & Judy Cleveland
Upstate NY
2000 24 RSB
Felders

Post by Felders »

I can maybe answer a few. But not too specific. We’ve got a 26RB Diesel.

1. And 2. I’m not an engine expert, and had no diesel experience before but ours gets going pretty slow. That being said, I was forced to pull a loaded heavy duty car hauler once (>5k pounds) and it drove like nothing was back there, so I’ve chocked it up to the diesel and HD transmission being normal. We took ours to a Diesel mechanic after purchase for the oil change and he said it was running great.

3. Ours did the same and the repair was just a bad thermostat, so check that out. Cost us less than $50

4. All of our pipes are PEX. Even if expensive it would be worth considering replacing because of how nice the PEX is. We survived the Texas freeze a few years ago without really winterizing.

5. There’s a thread about airbag replacement. Check it out. First just inflate yours and see if they hold pressure. I found that even just 10-20 psi gave a much smoother ride and I usually put up to 60 psi. I also think bouncing isn’t going to be an airbag problem but a suspension problem.

6. Cabinet hinges are out there. Unfortunately they aren’t gold like the originals. So far I’ve only had to replace 4 overhead hinges so I did some swapping and put them in the bathroom to be less noticeable. Check the thread on that.

Also we did replace all the safety equipment as well. I’d also expect some water damage in the floors and walls so feel for spongy and softer spots. That’s my current issue. Lots of threads on this forum with past experiences to help out.

These coaches are great vehicles and the diesel (if in good shape) will run until the coach falls off the chassis. If you’re getting a good deal, then buy for sure and make the fixes. All in all, excluding my handyman-level skills labor of love we are still under about $3K in repairs since purchase 3 years ago.

The Felders
2001 26RB Diesel
Texas
Felders

Post by Felders »

Also after thinking about it, the leaky pipes and rusted/corroded internal components sound worrisome. I would check out your floors and cabinets really well for excessive water damage. I can’t imagine what kind of conditions would make the cabinet hinges rust. Ours weren’t rusted, they were broken from stress over time and not holding open properly.
opselite

Post by opselite »

Well I ended up getting a 2006 gas model. A world of difference. I really wanted the smaller diesel model but this 24rb is so much better in many ways. The difference in the transmission is night and day so the other vehicle definitely had some issues. Only a few small problems with the 24rb but the previous owner took really good care of it.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”