Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mikeee

Post by Mikeee »

Hello Everyone!

Mike T here and just wanted to introduce myself to the group.
For the record in November of 2022 I purchased, "for investment purposes only" (so I thought) a 2005 Born Free MK - Built for Two" with just under 28k miles on it. Gas gen/set has 132 running hours on it.
The previous owner had new Kelly Springfield Tires put on as well as 2 new coach battery's 4 months prior to my purchasing the BF
Its pretty much mod free from what I can see so far.
The inside is pristine, with the outside somewhat faded and the decals are cracked in places.

I have been camping with my wife Cathie since 1976 and we have always owned Truck Campers. In fact for my retirement I purchased a 2016 lance 1172 and it sits on my Ford F350 Diesel. I also run a Truck Camping club out of New England called the North-East Truck Camping Jamboree and our Website is: www.truckcamping.net

My wife Cathie loves that little BF and my "investment purposes only" looks very doubtful at this time.
So with that in mind, I will be adding Solar and an inverter as we tend to do a lot of Dry Camping when we are not with the T/C group.

I look forward to meeting all of you at one of the Gathering you have posted on here, and I could even be persuaded to do a seminar if the organizers would like me to do one.

Mike Tassinari
perleys

Re: New Member

Post by perleys »

Welcome to the forum Mike. I had to laugh reading the post about your wife. We tend to "fall in love" with our wonderful Born Free coaches. I sure hope you decide to join the club and come and meet folks at a future rally. We have a national rally every two years and it is in West Virginia in September this year. Are you based in the northeast? There is also a rally in New York in July. Welcome!
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

Hi Mike,
It is great to see that you and Cathie have purchased a Born Free Motorcoach and I hope you are able to join our Club so you can then participate in one or more of the great rallies you can see listed on our Club webpage. I look forward to meeting you and Cathie down the road.
Safe travels always,
Nick McClain, Rally/Caravan Coordinator
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
Mikeee

Post by Mikeee »

Thanks for the kind reply's everyone.

Yes I live in New England specifically 20 miles north-east of Boston MA
So as it stands now the Old Gal need some loving!!!

The original SS Tappan combo oven unit broke and yesterday I took it apart and found the 180 degree high limit switch sitting over the transformer open thus not allowing power to flow.
What amazed me the most - after removing the oven to my shop - the almost lack of air flow to cool the unit down.
Yes there is grates on the top & bottom for "Air Flow" but in my humble opinion not nearly enough.
So I put my engineering hat on - ordered a tiny 120v relay - and 2 120v cooling fans that draw 6 watts each( guessing here) and will design a system to get all that heat out of the enclosed cabinet and out into the the living space. I am an HVAC teck now retied

The owner never used the awning is her 10 plus years of ownership. So I have new fabric coming in from A&E because I just know I'm gonna have trouble if I even attempt to open up the awning

Both side windows need to be pulled as re-sealed as there was a leak at some point in the upper front corners and the back wood (Just above the day/night shades) is punkey.

A/C need a new sealing gasket and that is on order as well

The propane and gray water gauges are not working.

But you know what i find most disturbing is the feed wire from the battery bank to the power center.
The voltage drop is horrendous. Just turn on a couple of the florescence lights and run the water pump and voila I am under 12 volts. Not a good situation for all the electronic boards.
Or Just flip on the 30k propane heater alone, back down to 12 volts.
No its not the AGM batterys as they are maybe 8 months old and last Friday I have them both load tested at Battery's Plus store where they were bought as well as a local automotive parts store and both tests come back with the battery's in great shape
FYI - The original what I believe would have been a Parallax 7345 charger/converter unit has been ripped out as there is a note it has been replaced
I will have to look at all the documents that was provided as I now believe there may be a 4 stage charger in that slot as in the morning when there is no draw, The voltage shows 13 volts but goes up to 13,6 when I turn a light or 2 on

Mike Tassinari
John S.

Post by John S. »

Welcome and you will love that little born free. I used to live a long time ago now in Hamilton MA. The one thing you will have to watch for is freezing weather. DO you have the tank valve heaters on the unit. Otherwise it is good to go and you will love using it.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”