RV Newbie got really lucky. Plenty of questions.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Felders

Re: RV Newbie got really lucky. Plenty of questions.

Post by Felders »

So sorry. I can’t help you. Electrical is really my weak spot and the isolation aspect especially. I still can’t figure out exactly when I’m supposed to use the switch under my seat…..

Eric Felder
2001 26RB Diesel
Felders

Post by Felders »

Can anybody tell me where a pack-and-play is supposed to fit in here??? Might make a board to go over the stairs and pop out the rear recliner (place it upside down in the copilot seat at night) and try that or buy a smaller one and pop out the front recliner and put it there. I might even get creative with some boards to make a bed platform resting across the front seats. I think I’ve figured out a way to rig my ladder to keep a kiddo from falling off the cabover at night. I want to make our coach work with a growing family!

Eric Felder
2001 26RB Diesel
Texas
Felders

Post by Felders »

Boondocking beach trip to Port Aransas next week. Added a hitch haul and hitch bag and a little steel grill to the tail so we are ready to go.

I plan to run the fridge on the propane while driving even though it makes me nervous. Has to be more efficient than running the propane generator to do the same thing.

Main question I have is how long I can expect my propane to last. Let’s say I want to give the kiddos a break from the heat with a AC on the propane generator for an hour or 2 each day, will my propane last the whole trip? How long will it last just keeping the fridge cool without the generator? All depends on the load, which I can’t find exact numbers on. Looking for some expert and experienced advice.

Felders
2001 26RB Diesel
Texas
Felders

Post by Felders »

We did the on-the-beach boondocking trip and it was a success. Managed to sleep 6 of us pretty comfortably. One in mini pack and play we found on Amazon. Once we got there I lifted the forward captains chair out and put it on its side with the seat part between the front seats and the seat back up tight against the copilot chair. Left me good space for the pack and play with still room for the ladder with the jackknife folded out. Up on the cabover. I took the broomstick off the broom and tucked it into the cabover strap and into the edge of the cabover bed wall which gave me a secure spot to hook my cargo net on the keep the kids safe up top.

We had to run the generator all night long because it was so hot, but with lows around 80, and my AC in low cool, I burned well under I gal per hour of propane (14 gal for about 17 hours plus fridge running on propane the entire trip) so that’ll be the estimate I use going forward.

Having a hitch hauler carrier and bag for the sandy beach stuff was a necessity as well as a water bin (seawater) for cleaning sand off of feet before going into the rig. Also I was happy to report that we had no issues with traction on the very wet sand even after being parked and stormed on for a few days.

The biggest surprise we had was running out of freshwater so quickly. I fully sanitized the tank pretrip, but we didn’t use any for drinking, just dish cleaning and quick rinsing of the kids before bed. I’m considering some sort of config to bring along more, maybe in 5-10 gallon culligan tanks with an adaptor that I can hose into my tank as needed. We refilled propane on our way out at a U-Haul and they were nice enough to let us fill our freshwater from their hose.

We are already looking forward to doing it again in the early fall when night temps get a little cooler. We are also excited to spend some much needed TLC on our Born Free investment and shore up some of the wood rot in the floors and walls, replace carpets, steel tire valve stems and tpms (my priority), and a backup camera.

I feel like I’ve reached the end of being a complete newbie, so I’ll stop posting here and get more specific with my questions as I go. Thanks so much for everybody’s help in getting to this point. I’ll be glad to answer any questions anybody had about my experiences.

The Felders
2001 26RB Diesel
Texas
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Regarding the smoke smell, try placing 4-6 plastic containers with 4-5 charcoal briquets around the couch. I like using a parmesan cheese (8oz) container with opening lid. Put a couple briquets in each compartment of the refrigerator as well. The charcoal will slowly absorb some of the smell.

Purchase a couple of Mrs Myers scented soy candles and just leave them open with the lid off (do not light). The candle do not lose their scent like an air fresher.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”