Ready for Spring? Sanitizing/Disinfecting the Water Tank/Lines

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ScotManG

Ready for Spring? Sanitizing/Disinfecting the Water Tank/Lines

Post by ScotManG »

Hi,

We have a 2013 BF 27RSB which we winterized in October. We will soon be "un-winterizing". For the part that talks to "Disinfection of Potable Water System", I plan to follow the directions in the original BF manul I have that came with our 2013 BF... which basically has 4 steps... 1) Drain the Tank, then close the valve; Prepare solution with household bleach and pour in tank; 1 gal water for every 15 gallons of tank capacity... 2) Fill the tank with potable water and open faucets (h/c) until you get the odor; 3) allow treated water to stand for at least four hours (we will do it overnight); 4) Drain and flush with potable water. SIDE question: can you drain this right on your driveway which runs on the street?

Pretty basic... my specific question for this topic involves the water heater and some reseach (Google) suggesting this type of bleach solution can harm an RV water heater. I'm still learning about all this (just bought our BF (1st RV) in September) but I don't think I can bypass the water heater (which I think is a Girard Tankless Water heater, model GSWH-1M?).

With the BF disinfect water system process "hurt" the Water Heater?

Any other suggestions about the BF Disinfection process (pointers, gotchas, etc.)?

Thanks so much in advance (we really appreciate this group and club). Hope to go to the rally in NY this year.

Scott
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
South central Pennsylvania
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
perleys

Re: Ready for Spring? Sanitizing/Disinfecting the Water Tank/Lines

Post by perleys »

The process I use sounds very similar to what you included. But I do have a regular water heater so I can't answer that question. What is the dilution on bleach you use? I have been using 1/2 cup of household bleach for every 30 gallons of fresh water. I just recently created a tool to allow me to attach a hose and pour in the bleach and it mixes as I fill the fresh water tank. I had seen the gizmo on Amazon so created one myself. In the past I had been doing a funnel and always wore an old shirt. This spring will be my first time to use my new tool. Some folks also talk about following up with baking soda to remove the bleach smell but I have never felt the need to do that. I do drain in my driveway and the diluted bleach solution cleans that portion of my driveway for sure!
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thanks for the response! I haven't done the disinfection yet, but my BF manual says to use "...one gallon of water and 1/4 cup household bleach... One Gallon of solution should be used for every 15 gallons of tank capacity... result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system."
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

Ok thanks, good to know that I am using the right solution!
M&MAustin

Post by M&MAustin »

We have a 2013 with a Girard tankless. Make sure the power is off to the water heater before you start the de-winterizing (that also goes for the winterizing process). Other than that, we've had no issues with the standard process.
Matt & Marie Baker
2013 26' Mobility
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thank you Matt & Marie Baker! Great comment and advice. Will do!
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”