Towing capacity 24RB 2005

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whatjojo

Towing capacity 24RB 2005

Post by whatjojo »

I just got a Jeep Wrangler and set it up to tow behind 2005 BF 24 RB. I reviewed the manual and it said that it has a class III receiver and that you could tow up to 5000#. The RV place put on the baseplate and was going to do a demo today too show me how to set it up.

But when they looked at receiver, they said that the receiver is not sufficient to tow (anything) as it's not welded and bolted to frame. They said that they couldn't fix it, since the frame is to far forward, so you can't get extenders to go that far.

They were nice about it and didn't charge any labor
And left the baseplate on Jeep at no charge. So it's a wash as far as cost goes.

Has anyone else heard of this?

UPDATE: I think it was mainly a liability issue after talking to the techs (there wasn't a label on there anymore saying how much it could tow, even though the manual said it could tow 5-6000lbs. After getting a second opinion, and consulting with this group and Born Free Facebook group, I ended up beefing up the connections where the bumper meets the frame. And am now towing without problems (knock on wood)
Attachments
PXL_20230215_171359641~2.jpg
PXL_20230215_171359641~2.jpg (198.04 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Last edited by whatjojo on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomzleapin

Re: Towing capacity 24RB 2005

Post by tomzleapin »

When I purchased my 2005 coach in 2010 I rigged it up to haul my 250cc Kawasaki motorcycle on a ramp. Combined weight of bike and ramp was about 400 lbs. The hitch is rated for 500 lb tongue weight. The framework for the bumper is very robust and this attaches to the truck frame. After checking how the bumper assembly attaches to the truck frame there is no way that I would trust it. I beefed up the spot where the bumper attaches to the frame. Bolts are 1/2" grade 8. I am now towing a 2016 Mini Cooper which weighs about 2800 lbs.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

Thanks for the info. My coach is in an E450 super duty chassis. Not sure if that makes a difference... I'll have to take a really good look today when I get the RV back...

I'm also going to try to get a second opinion also before I head out...
Hazel's-Keeper

Post by Hazel's-Keeper »

Mine is like the pictures posted. Four 1/2" bolts and some short beads of weld. I guess I'm curious what is holding your bumper on if it is not welded or bolted to the frame. Maybe someone can confirm when the body change was. I thought they changed in 2006, and used a updated looking bumper. I don't know if they changed the way the hitch was made or attached. Maybe you have the new style and something is different.
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

I'm taking it to a place that works with and installs hitches tomorrow to get a second opinion. I was going to take some pictures but forgot. I'll try to take some tomorrow and post them.
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

Finally got under there and took pics. It looks like Tom's before pics. So maybe it just needs beefed up also.
Attachments
PXL_20230124_164632657.jpg
PXL_20230124_164632657.jpg (150.89 KiB) Viewed 969 times
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

Well the trailer hitch place I went to said that they didn't see why I couldn't tow my Jeep. I'm going to look into getting it beefed up like Tom's

Thanks everybody!
karls

Post by karls »

One look at the factory installed rear bumper support convinced me that it was prone to failure. Only two bolts that are close together are supposed to take all the vertical loads from the tow ball way back on the bumper.

See pics for my fix: Two bolts on each cantilevered extension tying them to the coach floor farther aft with a spacer block between the arm and the floor.

Although the hitch is factory rated for 500 lbs, sharp road bumps can maghify that many times. Not a problem towing a vehicle as there is little vertical weight/load. However, my glider trailer with a 100 lb tongue weight can produce excessive loads and fatigue the front bolts. Happened to a friend's 24rb.

The iron work in the bumper needed some reinforcement too, so that was beefed up. See pic.
Attachments
Hitch Fix (2).JPG
Hitch Fix (2).JPG (112.1 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Bumper Support.jpg
Bumper Support.jpg (95.8 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Bumper Mod 2 (4).jpg
Bumper Mod 2 (4).jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 778 times
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help! I ended up taking it to a shop to get it beefed up, so I feel comfortable flat towing (well as comfortable as I can until I get used to towing lol). I'll get some pics and post when I get a chance. :)
Born_Free_RSB

Post by Born_Free_RSB »

anymore pics pf the mods?
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

I don't have anymore, I'll see if I can get some more tomorrow if l can remember where it was at lol
Born_Free_RSB

Post by Born_Free_RSB »

GREAT...THX...going to be getting my RSB more Nomad roadworthy in the near future.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I just weighed my 2004 24RB 6.0 diesel yesterday. Full fuel & water, packed with some food, clothes & supplies but not too much, not of the lockers, fridge ect are stuffed. The front axle was 4420lbs (max 4600lbs) the rear axle was 9500lbs (max 9450lbs) The only big thing I have is a spare tire mounted on a hitch carrier. I am trying to think ways to reduce the weight & replacing that huge fiberglass / steel rear bumper assembly is about the best idea I have. Has anyone been weighing their motorhomes prior to towing?
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

I hear you! The only way I can get mine within weight on the rear axle is to mostly empty it out and fill up my toad while traveling...

Even though I'm within weight overall, I'm WAY overweight on the rear axle when I use the cabinets to store just about anything. My heaviest item is also my spare tire mounted on the back.

I'm full time, so I need to carry quite a bit, but I'm going try to purge and see if I can get it to a manageable level.

Tried to add pics showing a stuffed car and almost empty RV but said it was to big.

Something's gotta give! Lol

If anyone has ideas I'm all ears!
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Regarding the rear weight issues. Having a 27’ we saw the weight issue on the rear axle (E450). What concerned me more was that we were at tire capacity. Michelin makes commercial C Metric tires that will provide a significant increase in capacity vs standard LT tires. I forget the exact number but we gained over 1,000 lb of tire capacity on rear axle. No longer needed to run at max air pressure per Michelin charts. I also noticed increased stability, esp. in crosswinds or tractor trailers passing. I highly recommend them, though you will feel the added stiffness.

My own theory, for which I have no hard data other than I have not heard of axle failures, is that many Class Cs seem to have left factories with rear axles at max load without us putting in our things. Be prudent, balance your load, but something tells me these axles can handle a bit more. A max loaded tire, aging and hitting a pothole, now that’s a bit more scary to me.
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”