Roll bar cover

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Carol

Roll bar cover

Post by Carol »

Hello,

I haven't seen anyone address this in the forum. The roll bar cover with the curtain attachment at the end of the overhead bed has come loose. I have it held up but it won't hold as soon as I start traveling. I can't what is holding it up in order to reattach. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6672.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
tomzleapin

Re: Roll bar cover

Post by tomzleapin »

On my '05 the cover is held in place by two fasteners which are covered by plastic buttons. You can pry the button off with something like a butter knife. It appears that the fastener has a phillips head.

Button:

Fastener:
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

It is a sheet metal screw and screws into the steel roll bar.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Carol

Post by Carol »

I got the roll bar cover back up. I made it from New Mexico and then just before I hit Knoxville, TN, the entire cover came down. Rt. 40 through Tennessee sure was bumpy. The screws may not have been original.

Does anyone know what the original fasteners were? Or suggestions as replacement that will hold up against vibrations? I though of wrapping the screw in nylon plumbers tape, putting in a plastic anchor (but I think too small), or could it be as simple as a split lock washer? What kind of metal should I look for in the fastener?

Thanks for your help.
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Hi Carol,
I know it’s been awhile since you posted, but just in case you were still looking. I’ve had those screws out, but don’t remember details. However I believe it’s just a screw ( not a bolt) that threads itself into a steel hole. Maybe it stripped due to vibration or someone over tightened it. If you still have old screws, you may be able to see screw size and whether it’s stripped. It’s simply a case of getting new screws same size or next size up, the same length as old ones. Easiest way to accomplish this, drive over to a good old fashioned hardware store, the kind without 42 aisles! They’ll have it resolved in no time. You could just use steel or stainless, though stainless not required as it has a cover. Just be sure to use a quality screw, which a real hardware store will have. Yes, lots of poorly made screws out there. Get one that breaks and then you have the extra work of extracting it. If you need to upsize it, the store should have screws designed to thread into steel. This type of screw should be able to screw into a smaller hole that maybe a bit stripped by the smaller screw. Just turn with reasonable force carefully. If it starts to bind, you may need to slightly upsize hole with a drill, but doubt that will be needed.

Hope that helps!
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”