Adding New Battery Compartment

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

SteveR

Adding New Battery Compartment

Post by SteveR »

One of my future projects is to add more batteries to my BF. I am looking at AGMs because of the no-maintenance feature and low out gassing potential. My initial thoughts are to add a second battery tray on the cab below the driver steps and put 2 of them there and wire them through a cut off switch to my yet to be installed inverter. I would also replace the existing 12V 27's with 2 more AGMs in the existing compartment by removing the existing drawer and installing hold down ties for the new batteries in its place.

One other option would be to use the PS rear small compartment (behind the wheel well) and vent it enough for AGMs and use that for the additional batteries instead of a second cab battery tray.

Anybody done anything different to add more battery storage? How about under the coach in a new home-made compartment?

Thanks
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

Hello,
One idea would be to use a smaller version 2volt AGM in series. You could wire six of these and have quite a substantial increase in your amp hour endurance.
I have been thinking along these lines and have not determined the place to add the additional batteries.
Right now I have two six volt Trojan 125 batteries in the original tray.
Hope this helps.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I am still doing the internal mental debate on 6V vs 12v batteries. The current rig has 2 12V series 27 Interstate Deep Cycle batteries that are not yet a year old. I may just add two more of the same kind on the other side of the coach and modify that compartment to vent it and to seal it to allow wet battery storage in there until they die and then I can justify going with all new AGMs.

Or,

I could just scrap the existing batteries and go with new AGMs now. It comes down to pay me now or pay me later. The inverter will be underpowered with only two series 27 batteries but I don't plan on extended boondocking for at least a year so I guess the best plan for now is to go with another pair of 27s until next year and then either go with 6v AGM or 12V ones.

My preference would be to build a shallow compartment under the PS side of the rig to hold at least 4 and maybe 6 AGMs. This would help balance the rig a bit and not use any additional compartments. The box could be made to allow the AGMs to sit on their sides making the compartment short as to not hang down too far under the frame. Attaching the box will be a bear because it would have to hold over 200# of weight, be vented and still allow access to the batteries to check the connections and change them out when needed.

I love projects! Just need the time and $$$ to do them.
bechlumber

Adding extra Batteries

Post by bechlumber »

In my stock battery box I have put 4 6volt batteries. They will fit by taking off the door jamb and taking out the battery tray. After installing the batteries you reinstall the door jamb and move the knob out a little. I have replaced my battery charger so I can have 6 volt gel batteries with no maintenance. I was not sure if the battery box could support the weight and the factory was not sure either so I installed a metal plate under the box with a bolt running through the box into the floor of the Born Free.
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
Brent

Post by Brent »

I do a lot of boondocking and use 2 six-volt Trojan batteries (love em!).

So far I haven't needed to increase capacity, but if I did I thought I would install a solar panel for recharging rather then additional batteries.

Just to help me in my decision process, you obviously prefer the greater number of batteries rather then a recharging system - may I ask why?

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Brent

Accalades to Born Free Staff

Post by Brent »

Earlier I had a problem I e mailed the club about. I mentioned in the e mail that I had called BF and they didn't have an answer.

Sometime after that mail, I got a call from BF customer service (Kim I believe) and he had taken the time to research the problem and had an answer for me.

Very thoughtful and went the extra mile. A good example of someone taking ownership and responsibility for customer service.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
SteveR

Re: Adding extra Batteries

Post by SteveR »

bechlumber wrote:In my stock battery box I have put 4 6volt batteries. They will fit by taking off the door jamb and taking out the battery tray. After installing the batteries you reinstall the door jamb and move the knob out a little. I have replaced my battery charger so I can have 6 volt gel batteries with no maintenance. I was not sure if the battery box could support the weight and the factory was not sure either so I installed a metal plate under the box with a bolt running through the box into the floor of the Born Free.
What are the dimensions of your battery compartment? I wonder if they are the same size as mine in the 32' President. Mine without the tray are about 18"X18" and about 12" high.

What brand of AGMs did you go with? Where did you get them?
bechlumber

Batteries

Post by bechlumber »

I also have solar panels. I have three 40watt panels.
I will be able to measure the battery compartment in a couple of days, right now my Born Free is being serviced.
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
SteveR

Re: Batteries

Post by SteveR »

bechlumber wrote:I also have solar panels. I have three 40watt panels.
I will be able to measure the battery compartment in a couple of days, right now my Born Free is being serviced.
No rush. I have plenty of time to mull things over until I am ready to do anything.

We may add solar as a possible later addition but for now we would just rather have around 400 Ah of battery current there for when we need to do some serious inverting without shore power or generator use. I am leaning towards just going with two more 27's in the other PS compartment and wire them up as a second battery back that is isolated from the other two so I can charge/use them independently.

Thanks for the feedback.
Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”