Cats and Ultra Leather

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Judy Madnick

Cats and Ultra Leather

Post by Judy Madnick »

We are seriously considering the purchase of a Born Free 32' President and would like to know whether any of you who have the Ultra Leather upholstery also have a cat -- a cat that has not been declawed. :) We're wondering whether the cat's claws easily penetrate the Ultra Leather.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Only if you allow the cat up on the furniture. :lol:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

bcope01 wrote:Only if you allow the cat up on the furniture. :lol:

Bill
Are you implying that we're in charge . . . of a cat? :lol:
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

bcope01 wrote:Only if you allow the cat up on the furniture. :lol: Bill
Obviously you've never shared your residence with a cat....
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Bill
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff. And no self-respecting cat "allows" a human to determine what it can and cannot do. :D

Our cat's front paws are declawed, so we never have the problem of having furniture being clawed, but her rear paws have very sharp claws. Our Born Free was all ultra-leather and she was over all the furniture, but she never managed to tear the ultra-leather.

However, we did have a couple of human-made tears in the ultra-leather. Fortunately, we were able to find a local upholstery shop that did a beautiful repair job for us.
Barbara & Ken
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Barbara & Ken wrote:

Bill
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff. And no self-respecting cat "allows" a human to determine what it can and cannot do. :D

Our cat's front paws are declawed, so we never have the problem of having furniture being clawed, but her rear paws have very sharp claws. Our Born Free was all ultra-leather and she was over all the furniture, but she never managed to tear the ultra-leather.

However, we did have a couple of human-made tears in the ultra-leather. Fortunately, we were able to find a local upholstery shop that did a beautiful repair job for us.
I love it when cat owners tell me that their cats never get up on the kitchen counters. Yeah -- not when the owners are home perhaps. :) I always assume that Izzy has been on the counters and therefore put food on plates, cutting boards, etc. Better safe than -- eating food with bits of kitty litter on it!

Sharp rear claws should tell the story, I would think. I don't think that Ultra Leather is a scratching attraction as much as fabric would be.

Where do you keep the litterbox? When we had our Sea Breeze, we removed one of the doors on a cabinet below the bench seat in the dinette -- worked beautifully! Fortunately, we rarely had odors . . . :)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dave&JanPotter wrote:Obviously you've never shared your residence with a cat....
Growing up on a farm, never had cats in the house but had lots in the barn and other outbuildings. Pa, bless his soul, probably would have shot one if he found it in the house. Worse yet, if he'd seen one on the kitchen counter, it'd probably have ended up on top of the hot stove in Ma's possum pot.

We also grew up with lots of dogs. I suspect Pa got the dogs in order to keep the cat population in check. If he'd thought about declawing the cats like lots of folks do now a days, he probably wouldn't have needed as many dogs since the owls, hawks, and small vermin would have adequately controlled the cat population. But then, how'd the cats catch the rats and mice?

One more thing, don't remember Ma and Pa ever buying any cat food or messin' around with a litter box.

The dogs really had it rough.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
norijake

Post by norijake »

FWIW we have good friends who have been full-timing since late 2001. They have two Yorkies and a 12 lb. cat. The cat still has all its claws and, though, like you, she has expressed some concern about their ultra-leather furniture, they haven't had any problems to date.

I wouldn't be too concerned since I do know that it isn't that difficult nor too terribly expensive to have the furniture recovered.
2004 26' RB
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

norijake wrote:FWIW we have good friends who have been full-timing since late 2001. They have two Yorkies and a 12 lb. cat. The cat still has all its claws and, though, like you, she has expressed some concern about their ultra-leather furniture, they haven't had any problems to date.

I wouldn't be too concerned since I do know that it isn't that difficult nor too terribly expensive to have the furniture recovered.
Well, that's good news. Decisions, decisions . . . and, of course, you're helping us spend more money!!

Thanks for your reply.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Judy Madnick wrote:Where do you keep the litterbox? When we had our Sea Breeze, we removed one of the doors on a cabinet below the bench seat in the dinette -- worked beautifully! Fortunately, we rarely had odors . . . :)
Where to keep the litterbox in a Born Free may depend on the floorplan/model.

We had the 24RB model (with limited space). When we were at the factory having some "remodel" work done, we asked them to set up a removable platform to cover the entry stairwell area. They secured a support strip at the top of each side of the stairwell and made a cut-to-fit platform to fit the space. At night, the platform was placed over the stairwell and the litterbox was placed there, which kept it out of the way. During the day and when we were on the road, we put the litterbox on the bathroom floor between the toilet and the shower. We didn't put the litterbox in the shower because we use "clumping" litter and didn't want to take a chance that any of that litter could go down the shower drain and clump (clog) the drain.

We use a covered litterbox, because I don't like the idea of anything being dropped into the litterbox. And it gives the "boss" a little more privacy when she's using it.
Barbara & Ken
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Barbara & Ken wrote:
Judy Madnick wrote:Where do you keep the litterbox? When we had our Sea Breeze, we removed one of the doors on a cabinet below the bench seat in the dinette -- worked beautifully! Fortunately, we rarely had odors . . . :)
Where to keep the litterbox in a Born Free may depend on the floorplan/model.

We had the 24RB model (with limited space). When we were at the factory having some "remodel" work done, we asked them to set up a removable platform to cover the entry stairwell area. They secured a support strip at the top of each side of the stairwell and made a cut-to-fit platform to fit the space. At night, the platform was placed over the stairwell and the litterbox was placed there, which kept it out of the way. During the day and when we were on the road, we put the litterbox on the bathroom floor between the toilet and the shower. We didn't put the litterbox in the shower because we use "clumping" litter and didn't want to take a chance that any of that litter could go down the shower drain and clump (clog) the drain.

We use a covered litterbox, because I don't like the idea of anything being dropped into the litterbox. And it gives the "boss" a little more privacy when she's using it.
When we had our Great West Van built (1992), we asked for a little "cat door" under the electric sofa in the back. The door led to the storage area in the rear of the van -- where we put Izzy's litterbox. That worked out well too.

In our Class C (1996), we did put the litterbox in the shower. However, we always covered the drain and wiped up any scoopable litter that "escaped" from the litterbox (as it always does :) ). We never had a problem.

Your platform idea sounds very clever. Thanks!
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Kim Olsen at Born Free told us that some 24RB owners have converted the rear outside storage area (located under the lavatory sink cabinet) into enclosed litterbox storage. They have an opening and/or a flap door installed on the interior side of the cabinet for the cat's access. They get to the litterbox inside the space from the outside access door. However, we did not want to give up that valuable storage space and opted to have a covered litterbox inside the coach. It's all about choosing what works better for each situation.

By the way, even with our new Class A, we still had the problem of where to put the covered litterbox. But we found a solution and won't let something that trivial keep us from taking our spoiled fur kid with us.
Barbara & Ken
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Barbara & Ken wrote:Kim Olsen at Born Free told us that some 24RB owners have converted the rear outside storage area (located under the lavatory sink cabinet) into enclosed litterbox storage. They have an opening and/or a flap door installed on the interior side of the cabinet for the cat's access. They get to the litterbox inside the space from the outside access door. However, we did not want to give up that valuable storage space and opted to have a covered litterbox inside the coach. It's all about choosing what works better for each situation.

By the way, even with our new Class A, we still had the problem of where to put the covered litterbox. But we found a solution and won't let something that trivial keep us from taking our spoiled fur kid with us.
Interesting idea -- but storage is important too. :) We'll have to see what our options are. But, like you, we wouldn't leave Izzy-kitty home. That's one of the reasons why we're thinking about returning to RVing for trips. Otherwise, our cat sitter comes for one-half hour per day. Izzy is too much of a "people cat," and when we return home, we notice a difference in him. Also, Stu would like to get away from the cold winters in the northeast, and as far as I'm concerned, a motorhome beats living in someone else's condo.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I got a good chuckle out of this thread!

I USED to have cats. Now I have a bird whose claws are about as sharp because they use them as brakes when they flow down and land. At least my bird's claws are sharp. They don't penetrate the leather. He's never bitten through it either, and if he could, he would.

Wood...now that's another story. :roll: He hasn't done it in the motorhome.

But I think, comparing what I remember about cats and the birds (comparisons) your cats, if moderately well behaved, will be fine. That ultra leather is pretty hardy.

just one lil'ol girl's opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

Trisha
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Trisha wrote:I got a good chuckle out of this thread!

I USED to have cats. Now I have a bird whose claws are about as sharp because they use them as brakes when they flow down and land. At least my bird's claws are sharp. They don't penetrate the leather. He's never bitten through it either, and if he could, he would.

Wood...now that's another story. :roll: He hasn't done it in the motorhome.

But I think, comparing what I remember about cats and the birds (comparisons) your cats, if moderately well behaved, will be fine. That ultra leather is pretty hardy.

just one lil'ol girl's opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

Trisha
I guess I'll take our cat over your bird. :) He is "moderately well-behaved" but does occasionally get into a scratching mood. We bought him a new scratching post, which he seems to enjoy, and that has helped. We also have double-sided sticky tape. :)

Thanks for your story and comparison.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”