Tire valve stem failures

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Re: Tire valve stem failures

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

I notice some of the posts here a few years old and the links are not working well.

I have tire valve steam issues. Ford dealership installed junk flexible valve stem extenders on rear inner tires (2003 BF 24RB) and it shredded both rubber valve steams resulting in flats.

I want to change all 6 valve steams - seems metal is the way to go. I see Borg mentioned a lot but anyone have a good link to what I need? I want to install metal steams with some length so I don't need any extenders. I see references to a kit... but can't seem to find the kit anywhere.

I also see a lot of mentioned of TPMS.... what is a good recommended system for today (2018) for our 2003. Thanks!

--Kevin
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hi folks,

I did a a bit more internet digging and found this:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/2 ... alve-dl1ec

Borg Equipment & Supply Co. --- (818) -352-3017

Looks like a link to what folks are talking about.

What about best aftermarket TPMS?

Any one have EEZTire by EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System?
https://www.amazon.com/EEZTire-Tire-Pre ... 33d305c988

Other recommendations?
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Kevin,

I have a post on these replacement metal valve stems titled Chrome Metal Valve Stems for your Born Free Wheels in the Coach Modifications section on this forum. It covers both the Dually Valve replacements and the metal valve stems from the Tire Man. Both links work on my post. It is the responsibility of the post authors to correct unworking links in their posts - only they can make the corrections. I have used all 6 Dually Valve chrome metal valve stems on my Born Free for more than 10 years and they work great. They really solve the problem of leaky flexible extensions and rubber valve stems. They also support the weight of TPMS sensors.

There are a number of tire pressure monitoring systems available from several manufacturers. I have used a 10 tire system from PressurePro that I purchased about 12 years ago. Six sensors for the 6 tires on the Born Free and 4 more for the tires on my toad. The sensors are sealed and have an internal battery that lasts about 5 years. I have been well satisfied with my system. The link to their website follows: http://www.pressurepro.us
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I use the Tire Minder TPMS. Batteries are replaceable and the company gives you a free battery exchange for 5 years. Also, if you buy the Borg tire stems be sure to purchase an extra set of rubber grommets for the stems. When you buy new tires it is a good idea to also change those seals. They are rubber and can dry out over the years. Better to be safe than sorry and an extra set only costs a few bucks.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”