Daytime running lights (DRL)

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Daytime running lights (DRL)

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I would like to have DRL on my 2001 BF. Some of you may be able to help me out in determining what I might encounter with this improvement. Specifically I would like input on how these may need to be installed. Is the simplest method to have the existing headlights wired into the ignition? Or is it easier and more straightforward to have additional lights installed and have these wired into the ignition? I am not that tech literate so I will not be surprised to learn that neither of these suggested solutions are feasible. I appreciate any insight BF owners may provide.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Re: Daytime running lights (DRL)

Post by whemme »

Why not just pull out the headlight switch when driving? That's what I do in my 2001 Born Free.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

whemme wrote:Why not just pull out the headlight switch when driving? That's what I do in my 2001 Born Free.
Clever Bill, and absolutely free. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I routinely use my lights while driving. Have done so since I bought my BF in 2002. I also have forgotten to turn them off when parked. Lately as I get older I am more forgetful. DRL would solve this problem. That is why I made the post.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dallas,

Agree with you on the age forgetfulness issue. I suffer from the same problem. However, if I get out of my Born Free with the light switch still on, there is a gong warning me that I left the lights on.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Bill, the main problem with your solution is that the gong only goes off if you exit the coach from the driver side door. We usually exit the coach through the cabin door, not the cab doors. In that case, no gong.

One thing I TRY to do is swing the driver's sun guard to the left, over the driver's cab window, whenever turning on the lights. USUALLY, this reminds me to turn off the lights when stopping the engine. Notice the capitalized words! This still requires me to remember to do both those things.

Luckily, that was a problem only in our old coach. The new one does have DRLs. However, we still have this problem when driving in rain or fog, where I have to turn on the lights to illuminate the other running lights, especially those in the rear.

I really wish that gong would go off when you stop the engine with the lights on. I wonder if there is a way to get THAT to happen?
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill,

Yes there is a warning gong if I exit through the driver's door. However I often move to the back to sit and rest or to use the toilet. Sometimes for 30 minutes or so that does not exhaust the battery, but sometimes when I stop for longer periods. If the gong would sound when I cut off the ignition that would solve my problem.

I know y'all mean well and I appreciate the suggestions but is this the inquisition? Next will it be suggested that I consult my primary care physician for a medication to combat my forgetfulness? Gosh guys, I just want a bit of information.

Note: I posted this at the same time as the above so I did not see shilohdad's suggestion.
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

I have to laugh when seeing this recent post. Last week I did the very thing when pulling into a Walmart parking lot exhausted late evening. Went to bed and got up to a totally dead truck battery because I forgot to turn my lights off! Luckily the Walmart tire center was open and could help be with the charge.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Luckily our dead battery happened while in Yellowstone National Park. On our way to see Old Faithful, it had been raining, so I turned on the wipers and lights. By the time we got to Old Faithful, the rain had stopped and I turned off the wipers, but not the lights.

We went out the cabin door, watched Old Faithful, went into the lodge, wandered around some more. About 3-4 hours later we came back to a dead battery. Luckily we carry jumper cables and there were dozens of vehicles in the parking lot. We just asked some kind person to help us jump the RV. That's when I came up with the idea of using the sun guard. So far after almost 10 years, it has worked. Having Lucinda ask if I turned off the lights helps, too.

Another suggestion that Lucinda had was to hang something brightly colored from the rear view mirror when turning on the lights. Of course, you still have to remember to do THAT!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
perleys

Post by perleys »

Joe, I wish I had a Lucinda! I did buy some of those slap bracelets you put on the steering wheel. I will need to work on remembering those!
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Dallas,
I may be wrong on this, but do believe our 2001, with 2001 chassis, E450 did have DRL. If all were built that way, maybe a fuse or something is cause of you not having same. Any other 2001 chassis owners listening?
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

RE: Day Lite Driving lights. We have a 2004, and it does Not have this feature. Both Dallas and I are awaiting some simple easy instructions on how to remedy this short coming.
Jim
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here is a $3 fix that may work, an alarm that sounds when ignition is off and lights remain on:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/data/5969/test.pdf

Or here:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et245.htm
Attachments
IMG_1246.GIF
IMG_1246.GIF (2.51 KiB) Viewed 15077 times
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here is a budget ($10) do it yourself auto headlight off with ignition modification:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ti70RkSVpO4
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

It has been some time since these posts. I still would like to solve my issue with DRL or a reminder to turn my headlights off. As I initially said I am electrical illiterate. Would someone explain to me if this solution provided by bcope would be feasible on my 2001 RSB?

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/data/5969/test.pdf

If so would someone provide a step-by-step tutorial? I know I am asking a lot, but I also know that there are those of you who have the expertise.

Please help an old fart in his declining years.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”