New owner of a 1972 BF removable motor coach

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hairba11

Re: New owner of a 1972 BF removable motor coach

Post by Hairba11 »

That manual is way more complete. I have the maintenance and cleaning section, and I have a one page loading and unloading the camper, and a page showing where to notch the rear roll pan on dodge trucks up to 1971.
I'm going to print this out double sided at work. We have the plastic coil binding there too.
Thanks!

I checked my tag by the back door. It is a BF20 serial number 546. I wonder how many of these are still out there?
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

So since I'm losing 15psi/day out of my tires, I pulled the wheels off the camper this morning. I broke them down at work. They had been installed with a lot of sealer trying to make up for the rust. On the inside I saw the OEM label

I ran them through the shot blast at work to knock off the old paint (little) and rust (lots) and picked out some rust-o-leum Navajo white and got them painted. I have some old ford bottle cap style hub caps I'm going to try and fit on them.
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

Today while cleaning the garage I found a random stereo harness, so I put it to work with a random CD player I had laying around.
The camper now has tunes

(Oversize Photo deleted by administrator)

It replaces the AM/FM-8trac

I also got to working on an escape hatch cover.
The only leak I have is around the cracked corners of the vent/hatch above the bunk. I cleaned the old caulk off the cracks and tried some new but still had water come in when it rained. So I went to work Saturday morning and knocked out a vent cover cover

And then figured out the cover cover wouldn't work. So I took the old cover off and robbed the metal parts out of it. And went back to work with the pop rivets.

The gasket is 25.5 on the outside, so that's where I put the inner frame.

I got it installed and even had the vent lift wheel track on the correct side.

Tomorrow I will get some weather strip to make up the gap between the inner cover frame and the vent frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

Getting ready for a weekend run to the inlaws. Starting some interior touches.
Dad's wife used the leftovers from curtain making and whipped up a couple of throw pillows to match the curtains

Also dug out a lava lamp I made a hanging bracket for when bought in high school, and a fan I rescued from the scrap yard and cleaned up
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

Things learned so far this trip:

I should get a spare for the camper.

I barely had enough tools with me to take the wheel off the camper.

Since the truck is connected to the camper, I have to use the truck jack to raise its rear axle while using both camper jacks to raise the camper enough to pull the flat off.

I also learned that even though the tire and jack tools are under the hood, the jack is under the passenger side of the back seat.

Also the wife will sleep through the camper being tilted 6 inches. And banging tire changing noise.

And that the original wheels are tube style and don't have a retaining lip for the inner bead which is why the tubeless tire bead slipped

And that rolling over the flat tire broke belts in the sidewall and airing it up revealed a big blister on the shoulder/side.

But TSC had a 13" 175-80-D13 on a wheel for $100.
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

Got a mattress ordered off Amazon. 6" queen memory foam delivered for $123. Shows up vacuum packed and rolled like a burrito

After unrolling and tearing the plastic off

It was about 2" thick. By the time we made it to the inlaws it was 6" and filled the bunk. It slept beautifully.

I'm really liking this camper
Hairba11

Post by Hairba11 »

Ok, I've been emailed by the admin because my pictures are too big. I'm doing this all from my phone via Tapatalk app, then copy and paste here. I haven't been able to resize any photos.
When I get a chance I will pull pics off the phone, onto the 8yo laptop, figure out my photobucket password and try to get downsized pic linked.
I apologize for any inconvenience to anyone trying to view my thread.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

No problem, I am really enjoying your posts and pictures!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
bfadmin
Site Admin

Post by bfadmin »

Hairba11,

As discussed in the post titled Photo Posting Rules & Hints, the following two websites can be easily used to resize your too wide photos.

A) Image Optimizer - the following website works well for resizing photos and is very easy to use: http://www.imageoptimizer.net
B) picresize - the following website works very similar to the one above but is not quite as easy to use: http://www.picresize.com
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
RV Life Is A Trip

Post by RV Life Is A Trip »

I LOVE YOUR CLASSIC BORN FREE CAMPER! And the new life you are giving it is awesome! And I thought my 1990 26 foot RB Diesel was a classic... So Cool!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”