Does BF otside fiberglass change collor

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

oliverpsmile

Does BF otside fiberglass change collor

Post by oliverpsmile »

Does the sun make it yellowish?
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
stevek

Re: Does BF otside fiberglass change collor

Post by stevek »

Mine is stored outside. I have never had a problem of any discoloration on the gelcoat.
I use 303 on the roof, on the back end and OH Bed. 303 has UV protection.
It keeps the gelcoat with a nice shine and keeps the gelcoat from getting dull and "drying out".
I have tried various products/ waxes/ etc. And the 303 seems the best for me.

I DO have a problem with the vinyl moulding yellowing.
On the sides of the BF I just use a good car wax.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bigdipper

Re: Does BF otside fiberglass change collor

Post by bigdipper »

IMO, the quick answer is yes. Several years back I had a discussion with the then president of Dodgen Industries about the subject and their recognition of same. Actually, the yellowing is a result of UV acting on the gel-coat and the chemistry of materials in the gel-coat is anything but simple. At that point John, the CEO, still ruled and white was the only truly blessed color. Cost and complexity precluded going to full body (white) paint and they were having problems with vendor who did the full body paint option. I could say more but do not want to sensitize or offend anybody. The discussion above occurred in 2007 and it was major factor in me making decision to pay $5000 extra for white paint and clear coat on our 2011. To date surface is unchanged although I store under roof and do the Protect-All drill once or twice a year.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”