4 down vs. tow dolly: another titilating toad towing tale...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

4 down vs. tow dolly: another titilating toad towing tale...

Post by Roger H »

So, after buying my 32RQ last year, I was able to pick up a new-unused EZE-Tow dolly from a Craigslist seller locally. Having towed cars behind motorhomes before on Master Tow dollies, I was familiar with the genre. The EZE-Tow is a relatively new entry in tow dollies, but is a different concept, and is about half the weight of the Master Tow and similar dollies. I was pleased with it, and could tow either our Prius or my FJ 'Cruiser with it (although I had to drop the driveshaft to tow the FJ 'Cruiser.)

The 'Cruiser was an '07 with 135k miles on it. I decided that this season, at 61 years old, I just wasn't up for crawling under the 'Cruiser regularly to drop the driveshaft any more. I just don't want to do it any more. A REMCO driveshaft disconnect from REMCO in Des Moines is about $1100. The 'Cruiser needed wheels (corroded from road salt) and tires, and I figured it'd probably need a clutch, brakes, and water pump in the next 20k miles... so the question became, do I drop $5-6k in the next couple of years into a nine-year-old car worth $10k wholesale... or trade it off and get something newer?

I have some unique needs for it; it has to tow a landscape trailer with my 26hp Kubota tractor in really nasty winter weather conditions for snow removal (and mowing in the summer,) and it has to launch and recover my 21' Precision sailboat at the lake too, so I needed something that I could both tow behind the moho without mods, that can tow 3500 lbs itself, AND has 4WD. After doing significant research, it appears that Jeep and Chevy Colorado are the last vehicles that can do that. And I'm a Jeep kind of guy.

That sent me to Jeep dealers looking for used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4drs. I was appalled at their resale. Used '14s and '15s with 30k miles were $35k. The last new car I bought (for me, my wife has had several) was in 1993, and the last new Jeep I bought was in 1981. But for the small difference in new and used prices, I bought a new '16 equipped the way I wanted it for only slightly more... and I bought an unlimited mileage Chrysler warranty for it. But this tale revolves around towing...

I had presumed, and the dealership had confirmed that towing the Jeep on a dolly would be no problem as, after all, you can tow them 4 down. I presumed that wrongly, and the dealership confirmed that in error. AFTER we bought the Jeep, we'd had it a few days and my wife pulled the owners manual out and read it. (Can you believe this... she actually READ the owner's manual. I was deeply ashamed... but by then the deed was done.) Anyway... she found that, according to the owners manual, the Jeep CANNOT be towed on a dolly. Four down, yes. Dolly towing, NO. So off I went to my Jeep dealer in search of answers. I got nothing definitive except that maybe the splash lubrication of the transfer case is provided by the front driveshaft turning (which of course requires the front wheels to be turning to turn the front driveshaft.) The lead service technician added nothing meaningful to the conversation other than to confirm that it cannot be towed on a dolly. He wasn't sure why it can't be dolly-towed either.

So... at least it IS easily towable 4-down just by shifting the transfer case into neutral... *sigh*

Having never towed 4-down before, I had to research what I needed, and then pursue those parts. My octogenarian father has (and continues to) towed 4-down for at least twenty years, so his advice was invaluable. Craigslist is our friend, and I found a Blue Ox Aladdin aluminum 7500 lb tow bar with safety cables and the electric cable for $300 in almost-new condition. I needed a base plate for the Jeep and found a new-return on Amazon Warehouse for half-price at $201 shipped free with Prime. I got the Chrysler 7-pin round factory wiring harness for $86, about $50 off list (again from Amazon,) and the taillight wiring kit from Amazon Warehouse again for about half-price. I sold the EZE-Tow dolly for a little more than I paid for it last Spring (again, Craigslist is our friend) in about a week.

I have a good friend who is an auto-electrician (an electrical engineer by education) and an amazing mechanic who has a shop here in town. It took two days in his shop to get everything wired (including the Prodigy brake controller,) a seven-pin connector installed on the coil-cord, and the baseplate installed. He solders and shrink-tube wraps all connections and joints for electrical reliability rather than using butt connectors. The wiring install looks absolutely factory.

So, for $683 in labor for the baseplate and brake/taillight wiring and tow wiring harness and brake controller install, plus about $620 in parts ($1300 total) the Jeep is now ready to tow and is ready for towing. Fortunately, I'm about $400 to the good after selling the tow dolly, but of course I'm limited now to towing the Jeep. The Prius is "off the hook" so to speak. Had I bought the tow bar new, it's list is $995 (street price of about $800.) The coil cord is about $100, and the baseplate about $400, so by shopping I saved about $1000 in parts costs.

So, that's the titillating tale of my travails in toad towing (and equipping...) Hopefully, with the lifetime warranty, this Jeep will last me until I'm too old to drive... maybe another thirty years? :roll: Well, I expect it to last at least twenty! :lol:

So if any of you have questions about what NOT to do when buying a toad for four-down towing, I'm a veritable walking encyclopedia of what NOT to do! :mrgreen:
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bigdipper

Re: 4 down vs. tow dolly: another titilating toad towing tal

Post by bigdipper »

Roger,
I am in opposite position having flat towed for probably 100,000 miles and just getting started with Acme dolly. It is a learning experience here also and there have been some bumps in the road first 600 miles. Leaving now for 2000 miles or so and after that all should begin to feel routine. Some sage once said "nothing is simple".
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I think you will enjoy your new setup. I tow 4-down and would absolutely dread using a tow dolly.

Now go trade that Prius in for a Ford C-Max Hybrid, which is towable 4-down, lol. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Roger,

A motorhome owning friend of mine that tows both a VW Golf and a Jeep 4-down maintains that the best Jeep model for towing is the Rubicon model. Don't know the details why but evidently the Rubicon model has some unique characteristics best for towing and for hill climbing the sand dunes out in the Yuma, AZ area where he has a 2nd winter home.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Jeep is suppose to come out with the Wrangler Pickup.
I have been thinking of this for a "tow".
Good info Roger. thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 8.57.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 8.57.48 AM.png (451.88 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bigdipper wrote:Roger,
I am in opposite position having flat towed for probably 100,000 miles and just getting started with Acme dolly. It is a learning experience here also and there have been some bumps in the road first 600 miles. Leaving now for 2000 miles or so and after that all should begin to feel routine. Some sage once said "nothing is simple".
Ralph
Boy, ain't THAT the truth, Ralph! :)

Safe travels!

Roger
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bcope01 wrote:I think you will enjoy your new setup. I tow 4-down and would absolutely dread using a tow dolly.

Now go trade that Prius in for a Ford C-Max Hybrid, which is towable 4-down, lol. :D

Bill
Surprising you should say that, Bill... my octogenarian father, who I mentioned above, just did that. He traded his '08 Honda CRV for a '13 C-Max. I've never even seen a C-Max in person, so I'm looking forward to my folks coming back from wintering over in Texas so I can see it. The '10 Prius, however, is safe in our stable. It's got 135k on it now, and we're going to see if it'll go a half-million miles. It's my wife's daily driver and we bought it new in '10. The new ones don't offer anything any better than what it has, so there's no reason to trade it off. And even if I bought a C-Max... I'm not spending the cash to equip it to be towed. ;) That's what made the dolly such a good choice was that it allowed me to choose which vehicle I wanted to tow. Now it's JUST the Jeep... but I'm ok with that. It'll be a good car to have on the road with us.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

whemme wrote:Roger,

A motorhome owning friend of mine that tows both a VW Golf and a Jeep 4-down maintains that the best Jeep model for towing is the Rubicon model. Don't know the details why but evidently the Rubicon model has some unique characteristics best for towing and for hill climbing the sand dunes out in the Yuma, AZ area where he has a 2nd winter home.
Bill, mine is the Rubicon with a 6 speed manual transmission. The Rubicon has a heavier transfer case and comes stock with a locking Dana 44 in the front as well as 4:10 rear ends to the standard 3:73's. I wanted the heavier-duty drive-train specifically because I'll be hauling the tractor and the sailboat with it. Heavier-duty is always better when you're pressing it into a more severe-service situation. The Rubicon is supposed to be one of the most competent off-road vehicles built anywhere today. My off-roading days are long over, but that drive-train has value for my situation.

I'm sure you'll get to see it sometime this summer when I'm up your way, Bill!
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

stevek wrote:Jeep is suppose to come out with the Wrangler Pickup.
I have been thinking of this for a "tow".
Good info Roger. thanks.
Yeah, Steve... my last Jeep in '81 was a Scrambler, the 103" wheelbase CJ-8 pickup of that era. Interesting my Wrangler Unlimited has a 116" wheelbase but is about the same over-all length as my old Scrambler... although the track is at least a foot wider.

ImageMy 1981 Jeep Scrambler and 1976 Scamp travel trailer by Roger H, on Flickr

I specifically bought a '16 though because there are supposed to be big changes coming for the '17 model year... and I don't want to be a beta tester for the new 'stuff.' The Wrangler Unlimited body and drive train have been around long enough that the '14-'16 models are relatively trouble-free and bullet-proof and I value that over "new and improved."

I've gotta admit though, that those Wrangler-based pickups are pretty cool looking. I think the one you linked to here was actually a smaller-sized J-10 style body. You've gotta give them credit... they're building some pretty cool stuff!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”