Tow Dolly Question for Engineers

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bigdipper

Re: Tow Dolly Question for Engineers

Post by bigdipper »

So would I, and in a few days I'll post this positioning. That assumes I am smart enough to stick a photo to posting here. Just received new Acme tow dolly which is currently in garage.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

randallrae wrote:I would like to see a picture of the Acme dolly stopped in a sharp turn with a car strapped down and the steering wheel unlocked . I am having trouble picturing it in my head . Thanks in advance
I don't have any way to make such a photo as both my coach and dolly are stored for the winter, but here are a couple of videos that demonstrate how the dolly works under your towed car. The second video is just several views of what happens when the vehicle makes turns. Apparently there must be a lot of questions of the manufacturer from the public about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoizMRJ6aUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuMAgZBq0c

In practice, the dolly tows just like any other tow dolly. The difference is that instead of the car moving on a 200# metal swivel plate with the front wheels fixed, the towed car's wheels turn side-to-side (along with the steering wheel and associated linkage.)
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Roger,
I am complete novice here, but had long conversation with Acme shop foreman concerning proper location of cross straps on wheel. Video seems to show them at about 1 o'clock, 11 and 9 viewed facing right side of car. That is not what I understood from our discussion, but will assume arrangement shown in video is proper. Agree? I also have a rubber slotted pad which apparently is to be located where front center strap meets the wheel although it is less than clear what it's function is.
Any comments will be most welcome.
Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I dunno, Ralph. I'm not terribly precise about the placement of my straps when I put them on... especially since I use two cars on the dolly with different sized wheels... what's important is that they're tight and stay tight. And I don't know anything about a pad. I don't have anything like that.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”