Class A recommendations

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tanksalot

Class A recommendations

Post by tanksalot »

We've enjoyed 3 years with our 1999 24 ft. Born Free. We're seriously considering full-time and feel a smaller class A makes sense. What brands have similar build quality to a Born Free. We're now in Quartzsite, and some of what we've seen is frighteningly shoddy construction.
Thanks in advance!
Laker

Re: Class A recommendations

Post by Laker »

FWIW, I went from a 27' Born Free to a Winnebago Sightseer 33C. The Winnebago was the right size for a solo traveler who sometimes goes to FL for 1-2 months and the extra space and storage was great. The Winnebago served me well for 2 years and I had no major problems. I would look at Tiffin and Winnebago. You will need to make the decision regarding build quality after comparing units.

I have since sold the Winnebago and now looking for another Born Free 27' RSB in the $75,000 range.

Good luck in your search.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
Fantom

Post by Fantom »

Here are 2 coaches that are kind of close to what you are looking for:

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Bo ... -116246806

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Sunshin ... -116581520

Sorry, did not mean to spend your money :lol:
Alek
2002 Born Free 26' RSB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I had a Tiffin Allegro before I bought my Born Free. It was a 32' with 2 slides.

It was a good coach, on the Workhorse chassis. Tiffin customer service was excellent and you can go to the factory also. We had some engine issues at the end, but nothing major.

Winnebago also offers some small class A's with nice floor plans.

John
ChasOButts

Post by ChasOButts »

Monaco makes several brands and always places in top. Reliability is number one.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

tanksalot wrote:We've enjoyed 3 years with our 1999 24 ft. Born Free. We're seriously considering full-time and feel a smaller class A makes sense. What brands have similar build quality to a Born Free. We're now in Quartzsite, and some of what we've seen is frighteningly shoddy construction.
Thanks in advance!
Much of what you'll find out there is shockingly shoddy construction. Unfortunately, it's what people buy in RVs. They want flashy and inexpensive... solid and functional doesn't seem to be on most buyers' radar. In general, in class A coaches, diesel pushers tend to have a better quality build than gas chassis coaches, but the price of admission can be high.

Your budget and choice of chassis will determine which coaches are in your sights. Myself, I think I'd buy an older well-cared for or restored Bluebird or MCI or something similar before i'd plunk down the same money on a later coach that will have no resale in a few years.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

With so many companies changing ownership it is hard to tell if they have any quality anymore . Everyone seems to out do the other in making their units cheaper . One thing that never seems to change is the more a unit weighs per foot the more likely it is better built .
Born Free offers a unit 33 feet long , and I heard they will build on a Freightliner chassis which might be even larger .
2012 25' rb
tanksalot

Post by tanksalot »

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. At Quartzsite we were driving in La Posa North campground and saw a 2007 Alfa for sale. Asking price was $55K. Nice oak cabinetry and good layout; 31,000 miles. We were very, very tempted, but realized our life is too complicated right now to bite off another complication.
I asked a day later and the owners had sold it for $45,000. I read that Alfa was out of business and had some paint issues, but if we see another one in a year for anything like that we'll take it.

Tanksalot

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”