Roadmaster anti-sway bars

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

fourleos

Roadmaster anti-sway bars

Post by fourleos »

Hi, Our 1991 26' BF has quite a bit of sway, even with new shocks, tires and steering work, including new King Pins. I have read where the Roadmaster Anti-sway bars help with correcting sway. Has anyone here had any experience with this product or something similar? Clearly I am thinking spring, but here in MA, we and our BF are still quite snow bound! Thank you, Reni
tomzleapin

Re: Roadmaster anti-sway bars

Post by tomzleapin »

I replaced my front sway bar with a Hellwig brand.

Here's a link: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... hilit=sway
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

Thanks! That is really helpful and there is a dealer about 40 mins away from us, in case my husband feels this is one task that he doesn't want to take on. I don't think we have a failed bushing like in you photos, but we do have a lot of sway. Thanks again, Reni
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

My 2005 also has a rear sway bar which I did not replace. Your '91 may not have a rear sway bar. If not, adding a sway bar would most likely help. My coach also has rear air springs added to the regular leaf springs which was standard equipment for several years. Air springs would also counter some of the sway.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

I am glad you brought up the rear sway bars. I saw them listed on the website when I put in my vehicle year and make, and wondered if they would help. I am pretty sure we don't have one but can check. We do have something called air ride, which raises and lowers the back when you press a button by the steering wheel. It seems to help with reducing the feeling of hard bouncing, but not with sway. I am not sure how the air ride system relates to air springs and leaf systems. Reni
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

On our old 2002 26' RB I replaced the rear sway bar with Hellwig sway bars and put on Bilstein shocks all the way around. There was a noticeable improvement in the control of the coach and its response to gusts of wind and passing trucks. The response was so good that I never took it to the next step which was to put on front sway bars and a steering stabilizer such as Safe-T-Plus.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

So sway bars on the rear would be the place to start, adding the front later, if needed? That makes sense to me, because the rear is where the sway seems to be coming from. Thank you, reni
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Reni, years ago I installed the IPD (now Roadmaster) sway bars both front and rear and was pleased with them. Also installed the Saf-T-Plus steering
stabilizer and Koni shocks. All items made improvements in the ride and handling of our coach (2002 26RB). Like all modifications, it seems to come
down to how much do we want to invest for changes/improvements in our coaches.
Mel & Connie
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

Hi Mel, Very valid point about how much to put into a 1991 coach. We have already put in quite a bit and it can be a slippery slope. Don't even get me started on the effort to remove the old stripes and to put 4 coats of shine on top! It does look 100% better and I still have the new stripes I ordered to put on. We really appreciate the quality of the coach and the floor plan is perfect for us. Our 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son each take one of the twin beds, we even curtain them off at night to make it more fun. Then my husband and I have the cab over. The center galley is perfect too, so we are hoping it will last us awhile. All that said, to be mindful of over doing improvements, if we were to start with one anti sway bar, would it be the rear we do first or the front? Thanks! Reni

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”