7 way or 6 way connector

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jeffcarp

7 way or 6 way connector

Post by jeffcarp »

My coach is in storage so I can't check this myself. In terms of the trailer connector on the back of a 2013 BF, do I have a 7 way or 6 way connector?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
whemme

Re: 7 way or 6 way connector

Post by whemme »

It is a round 7 pin connector.

Bill
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm setting up my first TOAD - a 2013 Ford Focus automatic trans. It requires a negative battery terminal disconnect and from things I've read on various forums I'm really concerned about using the car's electrical system in any way to power lights or a braking system. My current thought is to put an adapter on the RV that converts from 7-way to both a 6-way and 4-way in one adapter. I'd use the 4-way to power magnetic turning/brake lights. I'm thinking through a way to use the 6-way to power the supplemental braking system. I'm concerned about how to make the connection between the 6-way and the 12V DC plug for the braking system in a way that isn't likely to come apart from normal driving vibration.

Any ideas or cautions to share?
DeanPreston

Post by DeanPreston »

Most Born Frees don't have the 12 volt DC terminal connected. My previous auxiliary towed brake system would run down the car battery. I bought a Ready Brute Elite integrated tow bar and auxiliary brake system for my new toad. It is mechanical and doesn't run off the car battery.
Dean Preston
Past President, Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
2013 24-foot Rear Bath, MOR/ryde Suspension, Twin Inclining Beds and Cab Over Bed
2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Flexfuel
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

When you say that most Born Frees don't have the 12V DC terminal connected what does that mean? Does that mean that there is a 7 way round connector present but they didn't terminate 12V DC in that connector?
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have to disagree with Dean on this. My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has the round 7 pin connector located on the left side of the rear bumper. I use it to connect to my toad powering the toad's rear brake lights, turn signal lights and night running lights. One of those seven pins must have 12 vdc power on it from the coach in order to power up those various lights on the rear of my toad.

Below are a couple of pin connection diagrams for the 7 pin connector. Note that pin #4 (black) has +12 vdc coach chassis battery power on it.

EDIT: On reflection, Dean is correct, the power pin #4 does not have to have +12 vdc power on it from the coach chassis battery in order for the various lights on the rear of a toad to work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 11.27.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 11.27.08 AM.png (59.49 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 11.26.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 11.26.17 AM.png (56.54 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
Last edited by whemme on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
montir

Post by montir »

The wiring diagram for the 7 pin connector states that the wire for the #4 terminal to battery charge is not included in the Born Free loom. If you are ordering a new Born Free and want that 12V battery charge wire connected, you need to request it. The same goes for the #2 terminal for electric brake (for trailers with electric brakes). I requested both on our new BF and connect the battery charge wire to the towed battery thru a self-resetting circuit breaker.
Monti
2015 Triumph Royal RB 4X4
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

That should be easy enough to verify as soon as I can get to my storage unit. So, until then just so I can get a plan B in place, I have once pulled a UHaul trailer connected to the 7 pin and had functioning brake lights and turn signals so, that seems to suggest to me that I for sure can use magnetic brake and turn signal lights as I planned through a 4 pin adapter. I like your suggestion on the mechanical braking product integrated to the tow bar. I didn't realize that existed. If I went with that and the magnetic brake lights I should be good to go irrespective of what the wiring is in the Born Free 7 Way connector.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

For years I have used the Toad Charge http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html unit without any battery problems.
Mel & Connie
DeanPreston

Post by DeanPreston »

All four of my Born Frees came from the factory with 7-pin to 4-pin adapters. My present toad wiring plugs into the Born Free 7-pin socket and into the toad 6-pin socket.
Dean Preston
Past President, Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
2013 24-foot Rear Bath, MOR/ryde Suspension, Twin Inclining Beds and Cab Over Bed
2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Flexfuel
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”