Insurance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

cthorntonjr

Insurance

Post by cthorntonjr »

We are looking for new insurance on our 2004 26RSB Coach. Would really appreciate some recommendations. Thanks in advance.
stevek

Re: Insurance

Post by stevek »

Good question.
Not sure if mine is the best, but I have AAA.
In a package deal with all my other vehicles.
Plus roadside assistance/ towing thru AAA. I think they will tow my BF... like up to 200 miles?
I would be interested in changing if there is something better.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have my isnurance through State Farm. $250 for full coverage for the entire year. I'm sure with how old it is if I ever report anything they will consider it totaled and hand me a check.

Steve-double check on the towing. I had AAA roadside assistance ($50 I think) for my personal vehicles and when I got the RV I asked about that and basically I would have to pay a gazillion dollars (I think it was over $200) more to upgrade to the super duper premium platinum plan in order to tow an RV or camper. It wouldn't tow my utility trailers. Regular roadside assistance won't tow an RV. I have Good Sam roadside for all of my vehicles now for $150. It also covers any and all of my utility trailers.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We went with Progressive. They has the best rates for our area. I looked at a bunch. I was curious if prices are different in different areas. We live in Minnesota which is a camping/vacation destination with all of our lakes. One thing with Progressive is if you pay for the year you get an immediate discount. I wish I could comment on the service. We have never had a claim.

Dude, that is a good price. I think we pay around $300 for full coverage and that includes towing.

Good luck on your search.

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

I also use Progressive Insurance - had my BF covered with them since 1999 - cover it with $500,000 liability - current premium cost for 1 year was $448.

For road side assistance (towing) coverage I use AAA, there Plus RV plan at a current cost of $158.95/year which includes coverage for my wife. They will two my BF to a repair shop up to 100 miles distance. Since I have 5 vehicles in addition to the Born Free, I think the cost of the coverage is reasonable.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Wow - I just posted and it disappeared - will try again.

I just got a quote rate from Good Sam it was $548.00 per year with no roadside assistance. That was for the same coverage I currently have.

My current insurance is with Hartford through AARP. I have $500.00 deductible, 250/500/100 liability, 250/500 on the rest. It includes roadside assistance and has other perks like reducing deductable, multiple car disc, etc. My yearly premium is $264.00.

As double protection I also just re-upped for the Good Sam roadside assistance to cover my RV and other vehicles at $79.00 a year

I have had a couple claims with the hardfort on my vehicles and have been very satisfied with the claims process and settlement.

But I am sure this is like boat insurance - depends on where you live, credit score, DMV record, and a bunch of other stuff
Ray

Post by Ray »

I just learned something! - (I know surprise/surprise :D )

But if someone else posts while you are typing your post - when you hit submit it will not submit - it will tell you there was a new post and ask if you want to read it - then you have to hit submit again if you still want to submit.

Dont think it used to be that way - or maybe it was and just never happened to me - oh well.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Better than $264.00 a year? Do you have any contact info? I will get quotes.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Erie dosnt write policies in many states and dont write allot of RV policies - at least thats what they just told me - and Iowa is one state they are not interested in.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Amica will write a RV policy as a convenience to their existing policy holders - They do not routinely write policy's or offer coverage's on RV's --- least that's what they just told me.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

That's good advice.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I found a certain amount of humor in reading the insurance quotes from the Midwest. My only comment is to appreciate the fact that you live where you do and that you are not trying to insure a Born Free in California. Or any RV for that matter. With 38 million people in the State and many with no licenses or insurance, premiums out here are understandably a tad high. :)
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Just out of curiosity, what do you pay a year for insurance for full coverage on your BF? You mentioned compared to the Midwest it was high.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

You can still compare rates - If you know what you are doing

Thats how I found my lower rate.

But remember low rates are not always good rates.

Also its not just the Midwest compared to east or west coast.

Talking boats again - I had a real good rate on my big boat, my buddy was paying 3 times as much - so he went to my agent - her price was twice as much as mine - reason? My buddy lived 2 1/2 miles away - but in Illinois, I live in Iowa - that was the main difference.

Also sometimes insurance companies are trying to balance the books or get heavier into a certain diversified area so they will lower rates for a certain sector - that happen to me once and my rates stayed relatively low compared to new policies a few years latter.

Its a game - no matter what happens the insurance company is going to win - the house always wins - other wise they would shut the doors.

But you can still compare if you know some facts - so If anyone thinks they have a good company that has good rates throw them my way - I am always looking to save money.

Right now I am trying to get my homeowners down - I know some dont carry any insurance at all - I cant do that - I worked to darn hard for what I have, and I have others that are counting on me.
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Rates are now also determined by your credit score!!!
2012 25' rb

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”