Water pump trouble?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

baxmd

Water pump trouble?

Post by baxmd »

So after the assistance of many fellow lions we got our leak fixed and headed to the Midwest. Here we are on day 4 at a site w/o water hookup. No big deal since we have water in the fresh water in the tank, right? Wrong...with pump on we only get a trickle and then nothing. Worked fine at home, everything worked well on city water since we left home. Just cleaned the strainer, but no improvement. We can hear the pump running. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom & Paula
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Could be air in the lines. Do you here any hissing or spitting? How long have you let the pump run? It can take 30 seconds or more to get the air out of the lines. Try various faucets, too.

We often have this problem after de-winterizing. Good luck.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Can you hear the sound of your water pump working? If so, then your problem is probably that your water pump has lost its prime. Read this post of mine on how to prime your water pump by clicking on this direct link to that post: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... rime#20290
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thx for the quick responses. After de-winterizing we did let the air run out of the lines and water ran fine. Bill, just tried to prime per your post. Didn't work in this situation. Sound like we need a new pump?
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We are so inept mechanically that we always suspect operator error when something doesn't work in the coach. I would check to be sure that the valve to the water pump that you closed to winterize is totally open. In our 2004 RSB it was the valve closest to the pump under the sink. It did take a while and a whole lot of noise after dewinterizing for water flow to normalize. Good luck!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

We finally arrived in IA and had time to replace the pump. We have water now, but the pump runs non-stop if we leave it on; trouble shooting continues.

New challenge, the coach batteries are not holding a charge and we can't get the tray to come out. This life is great problem solving fun. You may see us starting a new thread if these trays stay stuck.

Cheers,
Paula
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

When you say you have arrived in Iowa, do you mean at the Born Free factory? If not, could you go by Humboldt to have them diagnose your problems? They are very helpful, even if you did not buy the coach new from them.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thanks for the suggestion. We heard it takes months to get an appointment, but we will give them a call.
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
Rob

Post by Rob »

Tom,

I had to replace my coach batteries a few weeks ago. I had the same problem with the battery tray. The ball bearings in the slides had frozen in place. It will take a lot of WD40 or a silicone spray into the tracks of the slides and a lot of pulling to get it unstuck. I am purchasing the new battery tray from Born Free to replace the existing one. Suggest you contact Kim at the factory to order one. Cost is 125.00 plus shipping (UPS).

Rob and Joan
2003 24RB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I replaced the drawer slides a couple of months ago with 200 lb rated full extension slides. It is so nice to now be able to fully extend the tray and have access to the rear battery for watering.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thanks, everyone. Replaced the water pump and all is well. We were pleasantly surprised to get an appointment next week at the Born Free factory to get the new battery tray. While there, a new converter will be installed, too - thanks to Bill Hemme for the phone consult! Fingers crossed that the trip back to Maryland doesn't require any advice! :D Don't know what we would've done without the wisdom found on the forum!
~Paula
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”